Frozen anti-freeze ?

Beast Driver 94

Hello all. Went into the rv today to check things out. Pretty cold around here, about zero at night. Anyway, did not use all of the rv antifreeze I had bought so a new unopened jug was on the floor next to the driver seat. I went to move it and it was frozen !!! Yep I mean solid. Product is Dow Bio-Friendly RV Anti-Freeze with Dow Frost RVR, and it is labeled to protect to -50 deg. Curious if anyone else has had this type of problem, never used anti-freeze before and if it "freezes" won't it expand and damage pipes etc.?

H2H1

Re: Frozen anti-freeze ?

WOW, that is the same anti freeze I use. I got it from Wal Mart. I have never had a problem with it. But our temp. never get that low. The average temp for the low is in the upper teens. Last night was 18 degrees, tonight is supposed to be 17. I would look up a phone number of Dow Chemical and give them a call or email them (record of complaint) and alert them what has happen. I do hope you did not dilute it down with water for more coverage. Anyway sorry to hear that, AND HOPE NO DAMAGE FROM IT IN YOUR MH. I just check MINE and all is OK :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

Welcome,

I seem to have read that the RV antifreeze will gell and freeze but does not expand so the pipes are safe. If you have the receipts I would save them just in case you would have broken pipes they should cover it.

LEN

Grandview Trailer Sa

Have not heard that Len, have not seen it either. Sounds like this anti-freeze has gotten diluted during the winterizing of the unit. I use Camco's anti-freeze, same price as what you guys bought. Wal-Mart's cheaperanti-freeze is mostly alcohol and I could see that freezing.

H2H1

damn I hate to do this but I am quoting from Dow RV Antifreeze....some slush may appear at approximately " O" degrees F,, but this not harmful to your water system. As temperature rises and the fluid warms the slush will disappear. contents is PROPYLENE GLYCOL (57-55-6) WATER (7732-18-5).

ALCOHOL DOES FREEZE BUT AT -171 DEGREES.

C Nash

i have seen it turn to slush when left outside in the jug. It is not supposed to freeze hard and expand

H2H1

NASH it want freeze just goes into a slush and not expand to burst the pipes. What I wrote in the other post was straight off the content jug

G

here is what i found straight from camco
http://www.camco.net/home.cfm?SupCategoryId=10400

Q. I had some -50 RV Antifreeze stored in my garage and I noticed it was frozen. Is your product defective?
A. No. Propylene glycol antifreezes are designed to provide burst protection to temperatures of -50° F or below. Ice crystals will start to form in -50 RV Antifreeze at temperatures around +10° F and will appear to be solid ice at around -10° F to -15° F. Propylene glycol based antifreezes continue to contract and will not expand until temperatures of -50° F are reached, thus providing burst protection for pipes. If you need a product that flows at the lower temperatures, a higher concentrated product such as Winter Ban -100 or our Ban Frost Marine Engine Antifreeze should be used.

i did not know they had ,, or really had any need for the lower temp stuff ,, and BTW it is on the bottle also

Triple E

I not sure when my bottle will freeze. I have had mine in the extreme cold but it does not last that long. The label says "Jack Daniel, 90 proof". :laugh: :clown: ;)

:8ball:

G

Steve ,, i can agree with that ,, i "used to" have a good bottle of anitfreeze ,, about everynight ,, but since we are talking rv anti freeze ,, well i guess that don't apply ,, but would be funny to see that old #7 does better than any rv anitfreeze out there ,, HMMMMM now there is something to research ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cwishert

Yep just fill up the fresh tank with some 90 proof and you will be enjoying your RVing in style. But you would waste it when you went to flush the potty and wash the dishes. Only could be used for "Drinking"! :eek: Don't think I want to shower in it either! :clown: :dead: :bleh:

Beast Driver 94

Kenneth, no the anti-freeze was not diluted it was still in the unopened jug. Will look into the Camco you mentioned. Interesting food for thought I think.

Brian

H2H1

Het Rod that was I was quoting was right off the bottle.

froggy57

RE: Frozen anti-freeze ?

Never had anti freeze freeze. Isn't that an oxy moron? :)
I park mine under a Greene Frogge fabric tension RV shed.
It is 15 degrees warmer in the winter and 15 degrees
cooler in the summer.
However, at night, I turn on a space heater in the winter.
Keeps the dust out of the unit if you keep the front and
back doors zipped up.
My unit is 14'w x 15'h x 42'l, so I have room to store my
lawnmore, etc under there also. I got it larger than I need,
because the 36' unit was $1900 plus freight and the 42'
unit was only a hundred buck more.
But unfortunately, my daughter, seeing I had extra space,
suddenly had some stuff that it was 'imperative' that she
get under cover, so I don't have any room left over. :clown:
I've had mine for 17 years now and still looks good.

Sergeant80

RE: Frozen anti-freeze ?

Antifreeze needs to be mixed with water to prevent freezing. I was stationed at Thule, Greenland and the stored antifreeze did indeed freeze. However, the vehicles antifreeze protected them. I saw the temperature go up 54 degrees and it was only 11 above zero.