Full time RVing

steven.blackshear

Hello all,
I am about to retire from the military in about 6 months and like the idea of RVing full time because I have not been back to the States in a long time. I have a question for all. What is the toughest thing about full time RVing?
Thanks for any replies

H2H1

welcome to the forum, one is having a good RV and lots of cash and the desire to see what the USA has to offer.And if you are married it helps if the wife will be happy in such close comfinements.

C Nash

Being away from family is the hardest thing for us. We have always been a close family and being away from kids,gks and ggks is hard. having said that we enjoy on the road and never having to be anywhere. Good luck

whitey

Hi Steven:

And welcome to the forum I wold like to thank you for serving our Country. The toughest thing i know about full timeing is not been able to do it. I'm having enough trouble Just getting Maw off Camping for a few weeks.

akjimny

Steve - The toughest thing for me and the Boss Lady are her health issues. She is on oxygen 24/7 so we have to bring a portable oxygen concentrator with us every where we go plus we need electric hook-up so we don't have to run the generator all night. And she is on some pretty serious pain meds that can only be prescribed for 30 days at a time, so that limits us as to how long we can be gone between doctor appointments.

We have a 30 foot Classs C motorhome with one slide-out and that seems to be plenty big for the two of us. At least we haven't killed each other during one of our three week trips back and forth to Alaska.

Congratulations on your pending retirement and thanks for your service to the country. Post back if you have any more questions/concerns.:):)

M P_doc

Okay, and now from the missus (married to Steve-the original poster)... we are well into the planning stages now :)

We both take meds.. you know, regular stuff for blood pressure, allergies, etc. No controlled meds or durable medical issue (O2 tanks, CPAP, whatever). I am covered for medical care under the VA (I'm a veteran, too) and hubby may or may not be based on his retirement physical & etc. How do you go about getting prescriptions filled? Do any of you use Tricare?

C Nash

Well thanks to both of you for your service to our country. I use walmart for my meds because they are all across the country. Never had any problems getting my prescriptions filled. Even when they have to be renewed just a call to my dr and he will call the new into wherever we are.

H2H1

If you are veteran with at least 50% disability your meds are free thru the VA. I get mine in the mail for 90 days at a time. So I have no problems getting the meds

M P_doc

I like the idea of mail order through the VA... how does your mail catch up to you? Mail is another one of those things we have to consider with full-timing it.

Thanks for your responses!

C Nash

There are services out there that will handle your mail for a fee and forward to you. Think Good Sam offers this but no sure. I know some of the rvers here have forwarding service so maybe they can give you some info.

akjimny

If you Google "RV Mail Forwarding Services" it will list more than you would want to read. I know the Good Sam Club has a mail forwarding service as does the Escapees RV Club. You can also get your mail sent to either the FedEx or UPS store near you if they PO box service and they will forward your mail.

Walmart, Walgreens, Costco and Sam's Club are also good choices for prescriptions since they are all over the country, too.:):)

M P_doc

Thanks, guys. I was vaguely aware of something like that; it just hadn't entered my mind. I'll look into it (we already have Good Sam for our soon-to-be-sold 5th wheel). Walmart sounds easy if I can't make the VA mail order pharmacy work.

Thanks for your service, Jim! Maybe we'll cross paths down the road.

Corrie B

TexasClodhopper

Go here ( http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/ ).
Mark your visited states. (Everyone has different criteria.)
Select a "Small" map size.
Select "JPEG" format.
Save it on your computer where you can find it in the following step.
On this forum, go to "Settings" (upper right of page).
On the left, go to "Edit Avatar" under "My Settings".
In the middle, go to "Option 2" under "Custom Avatar".
Choose "Browse" and find the file you saved previously.
Repeat until you like the results!

Wyotraveler

There are services out there that forward mail. One thing you need to consider is where your vehicles will be registered. You need an address there. Once that is determined I think you will find any private P.O. box people in the area will forward your mail. We had a private P.O. box and would get our mail forwarded about once a week or so. One nice thing about those forwarding people they go through your mail and don't forward the trash mail. We full timed almost 10 years ago. Now you can do all your banking and most things on the internet. It makes it so much easier to keep up to date with things. You may only need your mail forwarded on a monthly basis.