Full Timing Costs $$$$$$$

DL Rupper

Wow, been off the road for the past year and just got out again. The cost of full timing seems to be escalating really fast. For instance 12 years ago when we stated full timing the average cost of a RV site was about $12/night. 1 year ago it was about $25/night. We have been averaging $32/night for the last 5 weeks. Not to mention the escalation in the cost of diesel fuel. $1.00/gal 1995 to $2.90/gal 2007.

The shocker was the reservation bill for 1 months RV stay in Scarborough, Maine. $1000/month and it was at a lower cost RV Campground. For instance, up in Bar Harbor they want $60 to $ 80/night for the privilege of parking and sleeping in you own bed. That's pretty high for Water/Electricity/Sewer. Didn't bother asking what a monthly rate was.

10 years ago a monthly rate (most places) averaged $250 to $350. Maybe it's higher back here in the East. We usually camp out West. Oh well it's a great life if you don't weaken. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Just hope the costs don't get much higher.

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Full Timing Costs $$$$$$$

OMG! Those prices are awful! We stay at state campgrounds and military campgrounds. If you have a Golden Age Passport for instance in Louisiana you can stay 1/2 price at their state campgrounds. So it is only $8 for full hook-ups (of course this was only $6 pre-Katrina). Golden Age lets you stay 1/2 at Federal campgrounds. If you are a retired or service connected vet you can stay at military campgrounds for $12 to $16 per day and cheaper if you stay by the month.

The only time we have ever paid $32 is when deperate and we stay at a KOA. Other private campgrounds are cheaper. I was wanting to explore the east, but now I don't know if we could afford it!!
thwow.gif

thtravel.gif

DL Rupper

Re: Full Timing Costs $$$$$$$

Hey SnowbirdInFlight, We stay at Miltary Bases and some State/Federal Campgrounds when we can, but in the NorthEast they are far and few between. I have noticed in the TrailerLife Campground Directory that nationwide the average cost of commercial campgrounds is around $30/night and up. We also stay in Passport America Campgrounds when available, but again, up here they are far and few between. Sure glad the old HitchHiker is paid for.

Poppa

Was thinking aout bringing the kids up to the North East next year, at those prices I believe I will bring my generator and be a boony on most of that trip. :blush:

G

I know what DL is talking about,, i'm not a real full timer (9 months outta the year) but we stayed at Ocean Lakes Rv Resort in Myrtle Beach this past may and it cost us $500 for the week and the fuel cost us over $400 ,, is this what we Rver's are heading for ???? A major incline in all the prices of what we like do for fun???
I think it's time for another Boston Tea Party :laugh: :laugh:

onthecoach

DL---you are RIGHT ON!! We've been full-timing for 2 years and the costs are exhorbitant!! Just moved to Freehold, NJ for 8-10 months due to Hubby's job. OMG!!! We are paying $675/month + electric @ .12/kwh!! Soon, we will have to get a 100lb propane tank for the winter and I don't even want to THINK about how much that will cost!

The price of FOOD is CRAZY here out EAST! Milk is $4.99/GALLON!!! Jeepers, for that I could buy a cow and make it myself!!! Bread is close to $3/loaf and eggs are over $2!!! The people are rude and have a very sour attitude, the traffic is horrible and the weather SUCKS!!!

We are counting the days until we can get back to the Mid-West and/or West (Colorado/Wyoming). The only 'good' news is that gas is about $2.69 and diesel is about the same. I was born and raised in the Metro DC area and I will NEVER live here in the EAST again....not if I can help it!

USMC

Quote"The people are rude and have a very sour attitude, the traffic is horrible and the weather SUCKS!!! "unquote

LOL no wonder they are like that with those prices and those circumstances. Later Jim

TexasClodhopper

Hey, Lynn!

Where will you hook up your 'toad cow'?

Will you tow it 'all four down'?

That is 'udder' nonsense!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

deniloo

RE: Full Timing Costs $$$$$$$

We have a tower oscillating ceramic heater that we take when it is cold. It is light weight,housing stays cool, and it heats the camper really well without the furnace running. Saves our propane when we are plugged into electric. Probably wouldn't help much when you have to pay separately for electric.

onthecoach

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA! TexasClodhopper -- you are a funny man!!! Yes, we tow all 4 down!!!

To Deniloo- we have an electric oil-filled radiator heater that we used last winter in Golden, CO. Works GREAT!! Especially when the water pipes froze up!!! It does rack up the kilowatt hours, but electric was cheaper than propane in CO last winter! The campground was charging us $2.70/gal for propane and $.11/kwh for electric!!

I can assure anyone reading the forum that costs are much less in the Mid-West and West. The EAST is BEYOND expensive!!!

DL Rupper

Hey Lynn, I agree on the "beyond expensive" I can hardly wait for my trip to the North East to end. I don't think I'll be back this way again (can't afford to) so I guess I'll stick it out until Oct.

Yorkie Mama

If you think prices are high, try Canada and on to Alaska. We just came from there, and we paid between $4.00 and $5.00 per gal for diesel. We pull a heavy McKenzie Medallion 5th wheel (12,000 lbs dry) and we have it loaded as we are 'full-timing'. We are now headed south and enjoying our days. We try to use Passport America when we can, but of course we camp at national campgrounds and COE parks where available and pay 1/2 price. :)

ARCHER

Hey Yorkie Mama, why were you asking about the McKenzie in the other post, if you already own one and have been all over with it????? You ought to have frist hand experience with "how do they rate"..... :question: :dead:

onthecoach

I know what you mean about Canada and Alaska! Alaska has always been my DREAM, but we will have to put it off for awhile....until either it gets cheaper (HAHAHAHAAHA!) or, we win the LOTTERY!!!!

DL Rupper

$17.00 for a Lobster Roll in Maine. All you get is a bunch of cold lobster sitting on top of a piece of bread and some warm butter. This was at "Reds Eats", which is supposed to have the WORLDS PREMIER Lobster Roll. After waiting 6 weeks to try one, I was totally disappointed. It didn't have much taste and I know what lobster is supposed to taste like as I grew up working at Bratten's Sea Food Grotto in SLC, UT. :(

Yorkie Mama

i was just curious what other mckenzie medallion owners thought or if they had had problems we haven't yet run across....it's okay to be curious is it not? now we have picked up a few mice in our basement and are working to get rid of those....have you had that problem? :(

DL Rupper

Yorkie Mama, ask any old question you want. Somebody will answer if they have knowledge of the subject. The only way we got rid of 1 pesky mouse was with an old fashioned mouse trap loaded with cheese. I hated to kill the little guy, but at the time we were out west in an area (Southern Utah) where the mice could have Haunta Virus (not sure of spelling).

Well after spending the entire summer in the North East my nightly bill averaged $30/night. That's high when you figure we paid monthly fees for 2 mos during the summer. :(