full timing from diffent country

ropin

Hi all
My name is Brett, I'm currently looking into full timing in the US with my wife. we are from Australia,
not sure on residency and insurance problems we might have is there and other Aussie's
or Americian's out there the might know of problems we might face.

Domingo

Re: full timing from diffent country

Not sure about all that. Just do it like my relatives from the south of the border. Just come.

aussie Keith

Hi Brett,
First of all, full timing "forever" is not possible without a residency visa and good luck with getting one of those. You could follow Domingo's option and come in from the south. I believe that this has happened before on a couple of occasions. But be quick, before the fence is finished. The next best thing to enable you to spend a prolonged period touring (as we did) is to apply for a B1/B2 visa from the USA Consulate in Australia. Takes a little while and there is a cost ($250 each from memory) and you have to prove that you have the cash back up for the trip plus reasons to come back. ie own a house etc. Once you have that you would be permitted to spend up to 6 months at a time touring in the country. After 6 months you have to leave the country, and the continent, before returning. Mexico and Canada do not count. Then you can return for another 6 months. You only have to leave for a short time. We went to the UK to visit relatives. Re-entry is not an absolute right, it is still dependent on approval at your point of entry. Insurance is an issue without a USA address but not impossible. There was a post on this site recently which directs you to a couple from the UK that did it all and would be very helpful. Have a search through past topics and you should find it.
Let us know if you need any more tips.
Keith

aussie Keith

Forgot to say that once you have entered on a B1/B2 visa you can apply immediately for an extension of the 6 month limit, but that will cost another $2-300 each and we were told that it would take approx. 4 months for a reply.

Domingo

My apologies. I second keith edvice. Most of the time an extension will be aproved, how ever if you over stay your first six months and not check in before your permit expires. You can foret getting an extension. Again my apologies