Furnace not Blowing

JimE

I am trying to get ready for a hunting trip and I am having some trouble with my front heater. I have a 1995 Georgie Boy Pursuit with dual furnace / AC controls. The rear heater works fine, but when I fire up the front I can hear the fan come on loud and clear but no air is coming out of the floor vents. I can smell that the heater has kicked on. If I go outside I can feel it blowing quite well and hot out of the exterior vent. Does anyone know if there is a shut off or diverter that would block air from coming out of the vents? I appreciate any input you all can provide.

LEN

Re: Furnace not Blowing

Here mousie mousie mousie !!
If the fan is running out side and the heat is on the furnace itself is operating fine. Problem is one of two things if memory serves. Either your furnace has two squirrel cages on the blower shaft and the one that blows air into the ducting system has come loose or you have a mouse nest, or some other blockage) in the venting system from the furnace. I lean to the latter. So it's a matter of looking for the blockage in the duct system. Is front furnace under the dinette, if so this is at least the easiest access.
On second thought one other thing comes to mind and that being that part of the flooring that makes up the ducting could have delaminated and make the block. but I would think it almost impossible to make a total block like you describe.

LEN

ironart

Hi JimE,

I have a similar problem but have not got into it yet.....My front furnace lights and blows hot air from the vent under the Dinette table and in the bathroom, and basement......... but it won't come out of the front duct under the couch...???? It warm up the coach OK so I have not put it on top of the priority list yet....

Let us know what you find.....

C Nash

Sounds like a little critter may have got in the duct and found a coxy home or it has colapsed as Len said. Think the outside is just exhaust from the heat chamber and has no fan but not sure.

JimE

RE: Furnace not Blowing

Thanks for the input folks. I took a vacation day tomorrow to tear into it. The heater is under the refrigerator so I guess I will start under there. I'll let you know what I find.

JimE

I was able to get to it a little earlier than I thought. My heater is under the refrigerator sealed in a Plenum box. The duct comes out to a T with one duct going towards the rear and three ducts toward the front. (I didn't notice the rear duct at this point). The motor is running fine and the squirrel cage is spinning but all of the heat is blowing outside which means somehting is clogged in the vents. My wife and I decided to try and run a vaccum hose down the vents which did not yield any results. Then I tried the shop vac on the exterior vent with no luck. Then I got out my compressor and fired it up to 140psi and blasted it from the outside and then in the inside with no signs of any material being dislodged. I went to the rear to show my wife how strong the rear heater blew and thats when we realized there was a rear vent in front of the bathroom. There was insulation everywhere. The bed was covered and the carpet was covered. We fired the front heater back up and we had hot air coming out of the vents. Its not very strong but enough to get through the weekend hunt. I have an appointment with Vogt RV in Forth Worth TX on Tuesday to have it looked at but my guess is that the insulation lining the plenum box has come loose. I have a feeling it was used for a rodent nest. For now I am ok and I will let the great folks at Vogt disconnect the gas lines and pull the motor and see what treasures await them!

Kirk

Jim, say hello to my friend Brent Beal at Vogt when you get there. He is as good a tech as you will find if he happens to be available.

JimE

Brent at VOGT informed me that the heater was working poorly as designed. I am trying to find the documentation to see if perhaps they swapped units placing the weaker unit up front and the more powerful unit in the back. Thanks for all of the input, looks like I just use the space heater while hunting....it kind of works better anyway.

C Nash

Jim, you said you felt no air at all ffrom the vents or that's the way I read your original post. Sure sounds to be more wrong than just poor design :disapprove: Space heaters are great. :)