Furnace Operation

frederick

Hi
On my 2000 Flair, how do I check to see if water is in
the furnace tank. I opened the panel and have no
clue. I assume without water, the tank would burn up.

If empty, how do I fill it?

How does the water get hot when I turn on the hot water
spicket in the kitchen and shower? or is it automatic?

It's hard to form or ask intellieget quiestions when one isn't
the sharpest knife in the drawer when if comes to RV stuff.
Thanks for everyone's patience.

Fred from Pasco, WA. :)

akjimny

Re: Furnace Operation

Fred, I think you are a little confused. The furnace heats air and blows it through the motor home to keep you warm. The hot water heater heats water for the kitchen and bathroom sinks and the shower.

To make sure the water heater is full of water, you first must be either hooked up to city water or have water in your fresh water tank and have your pump turned on. The open the hot water tap farthest from the hot water heater. When you get a solid stream of water with no spitting or sputtering, the hot water tank should be full. To double check and be on the safe side, you can take the cover off on the outside of the hot water heater and press the pressure/temperature relief valve. When you get a solid stream of water out of it, the water heater is full.

In my motor home there is a switch next to the pump switch to turn on the hot water heater. Yours should have one, too. When the switch is on, propane flows to the burner in the water heater and pretty soon you should have hot water - unless you have an older style hot water heater that uses a pilot light. In that case you have to push a button on the burner and light the pilot with a match. Hold the button in for a minute or so until the thermocouple gets hot enough to allow propane to keep going.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :) :)

H2H1

hello Fred, I think you have a Fleetwood MH Flair if so it maybe like my South wind. It will operate in 2 modes, one is on electric and the other is gas . I have 2 switches next to the kitchen sink. the gas switch is next to the water pump switch and other is switch that likes like a light switch that will say water heater. If you are hooked up to water and power hit the electric switch to on, that will put your water heater on in the electric mode. If this unit has been stored for awhile to include winter the tank may be drained, if so you will need to turn the by pass vale to normal. My by pass valve is located in the compartment next to the compartment where the water heater is located. Look into the compartment (MINE WAS TO THE RIGHT SIDE WHEN LOOKING IN) and see if you can see the valve and if it is in the normal use mode. remember to put back in the safe mode when you winterize it and drain the tank .I hope this has helped you out

Bounder Boy

To double check and be on the safe side, you can take the cover off on the outside of the hot water heater and press the pressure/temperature relief valve. When you get a solid stream of water out of it, the water heater is full.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my RV mechanic said that is incorrect. You never want your hot water tank completely filled with water otherwise there is no room for the expansion when it is hot.

Am I being misinformed? Makes sense to me.........

RV Trax

The hot water heater relief valve should not be opened. The tank must have an air gap to allow hot water expansion.Opening the hot water faucet to let the tank fill is the proper procedure.

Triple E

RV Trax - 10/15/2010 7:15 PM The hot water heater relief valve should not be opened. The tank must have an air gap to allow hot water expansion.Opening the hot water faucet to let the tank fill is the proper procedure.

Thank youfor this info. I always openthe relief valve and let it flush for a while, then I close the valve and bleed out the lines thru the shower. Have not damage the tank yet but there is always the first time. Thanks again.

Clay L

The following is info from the Atwood service manual on how to properly establish the air pocket.

Step 1: Turn off water heater
Step 2: Turn off incoming water supply
Step 3: Open the closest hot water faucet in the coach
Step 4: Pull handle of pressure-temperature relief valve straight out and allow water to flow until it stops.
Step 5: Allow pressure-temperature relief valve to snap shut, turn on water supply and close faucet.