Gas detector question

Islandgirl

Hi everyone! I've had my 5th wheel for a year and half now - using it almost 3 out of every 4 weekends & here's my question....... for the last six months or so everytime I connect power to the RV, the gas detector alarm goes off. I have what i call a battery "Kill Switch" that I disconnect every Monday when storing my RV & I reconnect back again on Friday when getting it again for the weekend. At first it was just a few chirps & now has progressed to an alarm lasting several minutes then it stops by itself. Any ideas why it's happening and why the alarm is going on for longer periods as time goes by?

ARCHER

Re: Gas detector question

When I first turn on my LP leak detector it will chirp for around two minutes and then it will set w/the green light blinking. Does it every time. I just don't worry about it, as long as it does the job after it sets. Test yours to make sure it , in fact, does work correctly and and shuts off the flow of lp. spray deord, etc., should make it go off.

Kali_Mist

RE: Gas detector question

The LP Detector will chirp warning you that it is low on voltage that tells you that your aux. batteries are low, If im not mistaken the LP detector wich draws alot requires at least 6vlts constantly or it will start chirping warning you your batteries are low. Just because you use your battery disconnect switch does not mean your batteries are good! Are they holding a charge? maybe they have a bad plate in them and they hold charge for a short period of time then drop below 6vlts causing the lp detector to start chirping. I would take the batteries to your local battery shop to have them load tested that will tell you if their any good.
If they are maybe their is a bad ground at the detector or the detector is bad, use a lighter to check it. Also if you have anything spilled on the floor around the detector, or cleaning chemicals, or perfumes set them off also.
The past reply he was referring to some Motorhomes have the LP detector connected to a silenoid at the LP tank causing the LP system to shut off is the detectors goes off...Cheers

firestormpro

RE: Gas detector question

OK IN TRUE SENSE IT IS NOT A LP DETECTOR IT DETECTS FLAMABLE VAPORS IN THE AIR SO ANY AND ALL FLAMABLE VAPORS WILL SET IT OFF ALSO AS IT AGES IT WILL GET DUST BUILD UP IN THE SENSOR AREA. MOST PEOPLE DON'T TURN THEM OFF AND ON ALL THE TIME WHAT IS HAPPENING IS THAT AS IT GETS OLDER IT IS TAKING THE SENSOR LONGER TO STABLIZE IN TEMP AND UNTIL IT BECOMES STABLE IT WILL CHIRP OR EVEN SET A ALARM. IS THERE ANY REAL NEED TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES IF YOU ARE ONLY GONNA BE GONE A FEW DAYS? ALSO YOU COULD ADD A BATTERY TO THE UNIT AS A BACK UP WHEN YOU DISCONNECT THE MAIN BATTERIES A 9 VOLT BATTERY WITH A COUPLE OF DIODES WOULD ONLY SET YOU BACK A FEW BUCKS AND WOULD GIVE BATTERY BACK UP TO THE UNIT FOR WEEKS.

Islandgirl

Re: Gas detector question

Hummm, I use a battery disconnect because the dealer suggested it. My friend Amy has already had a dead battery during her first month of her RV, of course that happened at a terrible time when she needed them and for us, we've used our new RV apx. 35+ weekends & one 2 week trip in a year and never had a dead battery - whether she was stored for a week or a month. I guessed that the initial chirp was telling me that the power was restored and the chirp told me it "fired back up" and was operating properly. My concern is that the initial chirp has grown into a constant alarm for apx. 1 to 2 minutes. every battery connect or plugging into the electric.