gas mileage

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by buftflair, Dec 3, 2007.

1. buftflair

buftflair Member

We have just bought our first RV (an older unit) and have really enjoyed it, I didn't have any misconceptions about gas mileage when we bought the motorhome so no real disappointments. My question is, how much better gas mileaage do you get with a newer model that has overdrive?
  2. TexasClodhopper

TexasClodhopper Senior Member

Re: gas mileage

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

7.5 to 10
  3. hamdave

hamdave New Member

I have a 26' (short) Damon, and get 10.5+ mpg driving 55-62 mph. It doesn't stress me out and DW also drives.
    If you have a bigger rig, it will be less. Just came back from CO elk hunting, traveled in a friends unit, 33' and we
    got 7 mpg. '98 tropical FORD engine.
  4. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

2002 HR 32 ft Vacationer F53 V10 towing 02 4X4 4 dr Tracker 8 to 10 MPG @ 55MPH.
  5. Darwin

Darwin New Member

RE: gas mileage

I had a 1988 Gas Crosscountry, got between 6.5 & 7 MPG. Purchased a 2007 Crosscountry Diesel 300 HP Cummins, I have gotton 9, 10.4 and 9.8 on three tanks driving between 60 and 65 mph pulling a Jeep GC. I had plenty of power in the Smokie Mountains. Another plus I set the Cruse Control and it seldom down shifts. I would not use the cruse when I traveled through hills with the old Gas MH. I agree with a post I read, "Don't drive a Diesel Pusher unless you are ready to by one."
  6. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member

With our 87 Allegro, 25' powered by a non-injected 454 and a GVWR of 12.5K and it got 6 - 7 mpg. Now travel in a 35' Cruise Master on a 99 Triton V-10, GVWR of 18K and towing a Honda CR-V and we get a pretty consistand 8-9mpg. The travel speeds are pretty much the same.
  7. buftflair

buftflair Member

Thanks all, we have a 1990 26' Flair and I usually travel around 60 mph and have been getting around 8 mpg, which is about average I guess. We have really enjoyed it so far traveling between SC and NC with all the grandbabies and granddog. Everyone have a Merry Christmas!!!! :)