General Quality of 5th Wheel Vs. Travel Trailer

CharlieS

Okay -

My wife and I recently retired are getting ready to purchase our first towable RV. I have been reading the posts on here for some time and have been researching both 5th wheels and Travel Trailers.

I have formed an opinion, either rightly or wrongly, that Travel Trailers tend to be more entry level and designed for younger families with children while 5th wheels are of higher quality and will better withstand the rigors of towing cross country.

I think the basis for my opinion is that Travel Trailers tend to be lighter and less expensive.

What do you guys think?

For our particular needs, I think a Travel Trailer is best - but I tend to opt for quality.

This is a great forum..

Thanks for any input.

brodavid

Re: General Quality of 5th Wheel Vs. Travel Trailer

Welcome to the forum,
Check with Ken at GTS, he has alot of great Travel Trailers, just click on his name GTS and go to his website, you will be glad you did, nice guy also.

CharlieS

Brodavid

I did take your advice and ended up buying a 33' Brookside from Grandview Trailer Sales. Kenneth and his wife are first rate folks and when it comes to RVs, Kenneth knows what he is talking about. I was very happy with the experience from start to finish.

Charlie

C Nash

Congtats on the Brookside Charlie. Think you will like the RV. Keep us posted

brodavid

good choice
MAY GOD BLESS YOUR TRAVELS AND KEEP YOU SAFE AS YOU GO THRU YOUR TRAVEL ON THIS EARTH

DL Rupper

Dang, it sure is nice when someone takes the advice and comes back and updates the thread. Kenneth (GTS) is a straight shooter. Congrats on your new RV purchase. :)

By the way, was the 33' Brookside a TT or a 5th wheel and what will you be towing it with?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Charlie bought a Brookside 302 FKS TT, a double slide trailer with front kitchen. IF I remember right,he has a 3/4 ton Dodge. Really liked a 5th wheel we had at the time, but glad he likes what he purchased. Hope Charlie comes back when he is ready for his next!!

CharlieS

I went with the Travel Trailer - it just suits our needs better. I have a Ram 2500 with a long wheel base and Cummings Diesel as a tow vehicle.

I bought the trailer without my wife seeing it - big risk there.. It worked out great though, she loves it. We have had it out a couple of times and are going to the Hatteras seashore this coming weekend. We also plan to take it to Florida this winter - December through March.

Being retired, it's a great way to see this wounderful country of ours.

Hope to see some of you out there.

Charlie

brodavid

Just enjoy and may you have safe and enjoyable travels wherever you go, just remember to post pictures

Grandview Trailer Sa

Charlie,
I am headed to Duck this coming weekend...you gonna be close? Plan to head back up here in Oct. for our Meet and Greet on the 3rd weekend.

CharlieS

Kenneth

I'm going to be at Camp Hatteras - down near Buxton. It's probably a couple of hours from there to Duck. This is a great time to go to the Outer Banks because the crowds are gone and the weather is nice.

I'll send you an email for more info on the meet and greet.

Charlie

goldhouma

Hi Charlie,
Glad you found one.
I just wanted to add here because we have a 5th wheel and its a "lite".
You are right the 5th wheels tend to be based on comfort. We love ours, it a 31ft w/super slide, walk in shower, 2 recliners and a sofa that lets out to a queen size bed, a floor to ceiling pantry..self leveling jacks...etc
The main reason we decided on a 5th wheel, over a travel trailor, was the rear living with double recliners, and the bay window is nice too, and the walk in shower...:)

Veronica

CharlieS

Hi Veronica

I agree with you and really like the 5th wheel better than the travel trailer. I came really close to buying one. However, we frequently use our RV for my wife's business. We travel around and do shows several times a year and I need the space in the bed of the truck to haul all the tables, lights, and other stuff we use for the set-up.

It's a compromise - someday when we don't have those needs, I will talk to Kenneth about trading for a 5th wheel.

Charlie