generator breaker trips

andyg

I have my 30 amp power cord plugged into a 3500 30 amp generator and the breaker on the generator trips after 5 minutes.
Does anyone know what the problem is, it's never done this before?

C Nash

Re: generator breaker trips

Andy, welcome to the forum. What are you trying to run off the generator?

G

does the a/c unit struggle when it starts up??? and since u said this was the first time the genset did this,,, what other loads did u have on the set at the time ??? sorry ,, just trying to get some more info ,, it sounds like either ,, the breaker on the set is weak ,, or there is more of a load on the set than just the a/c ,, but let us know back :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

Kirk

There are two possible reasons for the breaker to trip. Either you are drawing more than 30A or the breaker on the genset is getting weak. Either one could be possible.

I suggest that you first test the set by running with on air conditioner to see if it will hold for an extended period. If your RV battery is low, it may be that you are drawing too much for the converter to have enough left for the air conditioner. Most RV air conditioners require about 13 to 15A when running and more when first starting.

Does the air conditioner work when supplied power from shore power? If it is over loading it should trip the breaker on the pedestal just as it does on the genset. Try removing as many loads as possible and then run the air conditioner. You can stop charging a depleted battery by removing the negative cable from the battery terminal.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I agree with Rod and Kirk, sounds like you have too much load on your Generator. Have you forgotten anything? Is your Water Heater on Elec? (10 or so Amps) Is your Refer on? (3 Amps)

If your Amp draw is not too much for your generator, it does indeed sound like a weak breaker on the generator.

Let us know what you find