Generator gone mad

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by JimE, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. JimE

    JimE Senior Member

    I have a 93 Winnebago Brave with an Onan 6.5 genset. Generator starts and purrs like a kitten about 75% of the time I start it. The other 25% of the time, it bucks and spits and sounds like it is going to shake out of the motorhome then it dies. Normally if I drive for 15 minutes and try it again, it fires right up. Any clues?
     
  2. Kirk

    Kirk Senior Member

    Generator gone mad

    I would suspect that the float may be sticking. It might help if you run some carb cleaner through it. Let us know what you find when you get it going.
     
  3. Bush70

    Bush70 New Member

    Generator gone mad

    Lets start with basics. How many hours, what is the service record? Gasoline or propane? Could just need service.
     
  4. JimE

    JimE Senior Member

    Generator gone mad

    Its a gasoline Onan, carb rebuilt by Onan last year, only 5 hours on it since the rebuild.
     
  5. Poppa

    Poppa Member

    Generator gone mad

    When it starts right off means everything is okie dokey :laugh: . Ain't I a smarty pants.

    The needle valve in the carb is not shutting off all the way so whne you shut down it leaks a little fuel by and sett up a very rich mixture that won't burn :dead: . After you let it set for a while the excess fuel evaporates the needle valve reseats and she kicks off :cool: .

    Float set too high will cause the problem ususally. It you don;t have a fuel filter get one :approve: .
     
  6. janicenlarry

    janicenlarry New Member

    Generator gone mad

    low hours is not a good sign of proper maintenance. You need to run these gennys 1/2-1 hr per month under full load. Failure to do this is one of the biggest problems with generators :cool:
     
  7. Kirk

    Kirk Senior Member

    Generator gone mad

    quote: only 5 hours on it since the rebuild.

    That is exactly the reason that your float is probably sticking. What happens if the gen sits unused too much is that the fule evaporates from the carb and leaves behind a sticky film. Each time you start it you fill the bowl again and then another layer forms. For that reason, Onan suggest operating the genset for a minimum of 1 hour per month with 1/2 hour to be loaded to at least 1/2 power. The second thing that does is to warm the generator as well to drive out any moisture that has condensed in the windings. It takes about six weeks for the carb to evaporate dry.
     
  8. JimE

    JimE Senior Member

    Generator gone mad

    Thanks for the help folks. I followed the book and ran carb cleaner through it a few times and it seems to be purring like a kitten again. I'll be sure to run in each month to keep it that way.
     
  9. Kirk

    Kirk Senior Member

    Generator gone mad

    That is great news! And thanks for returning to let us all know what happened. We can all learn by each other's experience.
     

Share This Page