Generator running while driving?

scottb80

Ok, we're getting ready to take a trip to Big Bear Lake on Thursday, which weather wise is probably going to be the hottest day of Fall. My A/C for the cab, that runs off the engine, has never worked and I can't afford to get it fixed right now. I was wondering, could I have the generator going so as to power the rooftop A/C unit while driving to the lake?

Pancanbob

Hi, Scott
I don't know about yours.
But I can run mine while driving. just don't go below a 1/4 tank,
I assume your is a gas Generator and it get it's fuel from the main fuel tank.
The fuel supply for the Generator comes off the side of the fuel tank, not the bottom.
This is because you can't run your main fuel tank dry by running the generator too long.

I think all RV are made that way, as the cab A/C couldn't cool the the interior of the RV
I can also run the heater (furnace ) too while driving
Take care

Triple E

What Pancanbob said. I darn near have my generator running all the time while traveling down the road. Not only to run the interior AC but the grandkids like to watch movies.

JimE

ditto, driving across Texas in August, the dash AC doesn't do very much so I have the genset going the whole time.

Danomt

I like to start mine about an hour before departure, and then run it for about an hour into the journy. I guess I just wanna be cool!!! DanO

H2H1

yes you can, I use mine when we are heading down to Fl. in MAY. The dash AC isn't much good in those heated days

lindaleemc

Pancanbob,
My generator turns off when my gas gauge is 2/3 full. Is there something wrong? Since I only get 8 miles to the gallon, by the time I drive up to a remote camping place 140 miles, I have used up enough gas to only be able to run my generator for a short time before it quits. If I want to stay up in the woods for 7 0r 8 days, I am screwed. I wonder if there is something I can do to change that??

akjimny

Hi Linda and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. Yes, something is wrong. Your generator should run until you reach 1/4 tank of gas. They are set up that way so you can't run yourself dry while camping and not have enough to (hopefully) get to a gas station. So if yours shuts off when the guage is reading 2/3 full, either your guage is wrong or the intake line for the generator is too short.

You can "calibrate" your gas guage if you know how much your gas tank holds. Fill the tank then run the RV down to 1/2 a tank as indicated on the guage. Fill up again. If it takes half as much to fill as the known tank amount, then your guage is reasonably accurate. If it takes more then half, then you know where your trouble is.

You didn't say what year your RV was. Some of the guage sending units don't like the ethanol in modern fuel. You might need to replace the sending unit. If it turns out that your genset intake line is too short, you would have to have it extended, but not all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Hope this helps some.:):)

Pancanbob

Hi, Scott
What they are saying s true :applause:, you should be able to keep you Gen set running till you are down to a 1/4 tank.:confused:
At this point it is hard to say why it stops at 2/3 of full... but something is not right. :indecisiveness:
One more thing are you sure it stops running from the lack of fuel, and not from some other reason :eek:
Most Gen Sets will shut down for "Low Lubrication Oil", "High Temp." & other reasons, ....before you do anything make sure you know "Why" it is shutting down.
Is you fuel filter clean?, sometimes with a full tank you get sufficient flow, and then as the level drops you get less flow, the same would be true... for a small air leak on the suction side of the fuel line
I don't know about your RV, but most fuel tanks will have to be removed to be worked on, as the fitting are on the top of the tank...

good luck