GTRW? How much can I tow of this?

alapataws

Looking to buy a travel traler.

On the side of the TT's I see a sticker with the accronym GTRW. I can't seem to find out how much of this I can tow with a basic chevy 1500 or Ford F-150. Just how much can a Chevy Silverado V-6 tow? is it 3,000lbs, 4,000lbs, 7,000lbs; what is it?

Thanks,
J.K.

C Nash

Re: GTRW? How much can I tow of this?

A lot will depend on how either truck is set up. Rear axle ratio, trailer tow package etc. Owner manual should give a basic idea. Don't listen to most salespeople at the dealer if you are buying from them.

alapataws

I found that out yesterday; dealer was blowing smoke. I have googled GCWR, GTWR, GVWR; all so confusing. I just want to know if a 2006 Chevy Silverado can tow a loaded TT weighing 6,00lbs across country and through mountains? I don't trust many people, seem like they just want my money and would put me on the road just to make a sale.

J.K.

C Nash

Agin Jason we would need to know how the truck is equiped. Remember you have to add everything you have in the truck to GVWR along with the TT. IMO you are going to be maxed out or over. No way would I try it with the V6 or even the V8 with a standard rear axle ratio and no tow package. Remember you also have to stop. Do you already have the 2006 Chevy? If so give us the engine, trans and if it has a tow package. The tow package will be a trans cooler, hitch and maybe heavier supension. Also remember this is JMO.

H2H1

Jason I had a 2000 Chevy 1500 Silverado with a V8 with tow package. I call General Motors and spoke with a very nice lady who told me the truck would do just fine since it had a tow package. So I bought a 25' TT and when I pulled it to FA and it was in third gear most of the time. I sold it and got me a 2500 Silverado with an 8.1 with a Allison Transmission. Never had a problem with towing ever. So as Nash has stated don't listen to a saleman you don't know. They work on commission and tell you anything to make a sell. GOOD LUCK :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Triple E

I have a 1997 F150 with the tow package. I tow a 5,000 lb car trailer with electrics brakes. I have the larger V8. I would be VERY uncomfortable hauling anything heavier then 5,000 lbs. I feel the trailer pulling and pushing on me all the time. Do not take chances. Be safe. Not only are you on the highway but there are other's as well. ;)
Go a little larger with your tow vehicle. JMHO.

alapataws

Okay it sounds like I will need to go with a smaller ultra-light TT. We are looking the Aero-light and the model has a GVWR of 4,195lbs...

Thaks everyone and God bless,

J.K.