Hauling Vehicle Question

Mr. Pickles

Hi,

I'm new here. I got a question that may have been asked many times. If so, point me to the right place.

We are thinking about a lightweight TT as it were. Something like a 25 foot Jayco LGT or similar. It UVW is 4600lbs and it's GVW is stated at 5800lbs. With those being know, what does it take to pull this thing?

I'd like a cheaper truck obviously, but who doesn't, right? I mean I can go for one a few years old, with you know, 25K to 35K miles or so, but it is hard to find towing info on some older type stuff. So given that, what knowledge can you folks give me?

ARCHER

Hauling Vehicle Question

Mr. Pickles, Welcome to the forum. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 w/5.9l Magnum engine that is rated for 8,000 lbs pulling weight (IT HAS THE TOWING PACKAGE ON IT ALSO). What that really means is all weight, including what you would put in the TT, as well as the dry weight, plus optional equipment weight. I would not go much over your 5,000 lb dry weight with a truck like this. To be safe, I'd look for a 2500.
Most vehicles (trucks) have a plate that states pulling weight and tongue weight. check them out before you buy. Also, how far your pulling is a factor...interstate high speeds, hills, etc., affect what type vehicle you will need.
Good luck. I'm sure there are more experts than me that will post some more valuable info for you. :)

hertig

Hauling Vehicle Question

I wouldn't trust the UVW. It often does not include some accessories added after the unit left the factory. Also, there is not much use in towing an 'empty' trailer :) When matching trailer and truck, look to the GVW, that is 'absolute'. (You do want plenty of room between the UVW and the GVW, so you can actually fill the trailer with the stuff you 'need'.)

Also, keep in mind, that at least in the past, truck manufacturers 'fudged' their tow ratings, by basing it on a stripped truck (no accessories, no cargo, no passengers and only a gallon of gas) and a 150 pound driver.

So, you generally want to stay well below the 'tow rating' of a truck. In the past, a 1/2 ton truck was perhaps good for 5000 pounds of trailer, max. Newer ones may be a bit better, but generally if you are going to tow anything more than a pop-up or mini, a 3/4 ton truck is usually a better and more versatile choice.

Tow rating defines the weight of trailer which can be safely towed. But there are some other factors which add to the ease of towing. These are
1) Tow package - The key here is rear axel ratio (higher is better) and transmission cooling. If you don't have a transmission cooler, don't tow (or carry a spare transmission :) )
2) Engine - If you ever want to tow up a hill, desiel engines are better. If you don't want a desiel, the biggest gas engines may serve. Otherwise, plan on crawling up hills.
3) Wheelbase - Short wheelbase vehicles tend to have problems towing some trailers. 'King Cab' trucks tend to be better towers, and better when you are not towing too (except they can be a bear to park)
4) Bed length - Not a factor for a travel trailer, but the short beds are not the best for fifth wheel trailers. Of course, short beds have a shorter wheelbase than long beds, so a standard cab short bed may be the worst choice.