HD TV and the Crank-up Antenna

raskal

With all of us having to go digital or "Decoder box" soon, we, in the white whale thought we'd take the next step and go to HD TV as well getting rid of the heavy monster that's in here now. It would be our Christmas present to ourselves :)

DW says we may need to change the roof antenna to an HD antenna but I wonder if that's actually necessary or just like the "advice" from some sales people that you need different coax cable with digital TV which is not correct.

Don't really want to spend the extra on a new roof mount cranker if it's not necessary so if someone has gone HD, I'd like to hear of your experience ... even if its bad news

H2H1

Re: HD TV and the Crank-up Antenna

hey Skip, that is a very good question. I hope someone who has an answer will come forward and solve this problem foe us all. Thanks for your question

TexasClodhopper

Those 'batwing' antennas are just a chunk of metal with a high-gain amplifier in them.

The amp is a broadband amp that may or may not include enough bandwidth to pick up your "nearby" digital broadcasts.

I think the so-called "HD" replacement antennas simply contain amps in them that are more appropriate for the digital broadcasts.

If you've got to go to all this trouble to pick up the lousy programming from 'over-the-air' TV, you might as well get you a DirecTV or Dish account. IMHO.

JAH

I have an HDTV in my trailer, I have the usual Weingard antenna. I pick up HDTV very well.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Your roof top antenna does receive HD signals. Every where I go, my digital TV will pick up about 40 channels. That is around central VA.

utmtman

I bought the digital box and my old crank up antenna works just fine for the digital signal.

To get better HD all you need to do is buy the Batwing end ( horrizontal piece ) . It will cost about $50-80. It'l take 10 seconds to put it on. I've seen the difference - its worth it. You don't need to touch the roof , the crank or the vertical piece. I have one , going to put it back on in the spring( not a full timer ). :)

hamdave

RE: HD TV and the Crank-up Antenna

raskal - 10/31/2008 11:09 AM With all of us having to go digital or "Decoder box" soon, we, in the white whale thought we'd take the next step and go to HD TV as well getting rid of the heavy monster that's in here now. It would be our Christmas present to ourselves :) DW says we may need to change the roof antenna to an HD antenna but I wonder if that's actually necessary or just like the "advice" from some sales people that you need different coax cable with digital TV which is not correct. Don't really want to spend the extra on a new roof mount cranker if it's not necessary so if someone has gone HD, I'd like to hear of your experience ... even if its bad news

No, you don't need to change the antenna. There is no such thing as an 'HD' antenna. Just sales hype. Your existing batwing will work just fine. It cant tell the difference between an analog or digital signal. The amplifier is broadband and should be just fine. I am using the same antenna amplifier and pick up all the digital channels wherever I go.

cheers

C Nash

Hey Jim, that antenna would look real good on the top of a rv :laugh: :laugh: . pretty interesting think I'll make one just to see if it will work but probably not out here in the bonnies :laugh: