heard a good one the other day

tinkerer

This person pulled money out of the stock market when it was higher and bought a new class A motor home . Foolish investment many would say, but I thought about this and as he stated "at least I have something" as one gets older take money when it is available or it might disappear. I would like to others perspective on this. I know this crisis that we have now along with this senerio put a different perspective in my mind ;) :question: :laugh:

utmtman

Re: heard a good one the other day

My wife is like that. Spends the money just as quick as its available before it can disappear.

TexasClodhopper

There's only a few reasons to invest your savings; growth and income are two of those reasons. If you can't get that or you don't want that, it doesn't make any sense to invest. If you want your savings to go down in value, well, an RV is certainly one way to accomplish that!

Here's an interesting scoop.

It's too late to pull your money out of the stock market (whatever that is.)

If you are older than 55-60, and you have money invested in stocks (you shouldn't have) you will not recover the value of your investment. (You shouldn't have been speculating in stocks, I suppose.)

If you are 55 or younger, your investment in stock (equities) will probably recover before you need to retire, but keep working as long as you can anyway.

So, there's no point in selling your stock to buy an RV, because you probably don't have enough! :(

C Nash

Now Tex we sold all our cows and bought ours :laugh: :laugh:

tinkerer

RE: heard a good one the other day

One thing I forgot to mention is that person must have been responsible as he did have money invested and saved in the first place. :cool:

onthecoach

I am with TEX!!! Spent my entire career in the 401(k) industry!! Mutual funds are the best way to go, and even THEN....DIVERSIFY!!!! DIVERSIFY!!!! DIVERSIFY!!!

To buy an RV as an investment is NUTS!!!! RV's depreciate faster and farther than most any other item in the world!!

So, having said all that, I am now wondering: WHY DID WE ALL DO THIS???

C Nash

Hey Lynn, I diversified. Bought Angus, then Holestrins, then white face, then Bramas and even tried to get longhorns when in Texas. Only things I could find in Texas were GOATS :eek: :laugh: . Wow, gas falling like the fall leaves. We better enjoy it while we can.

paulp

Not quite as silly as it sounds! I checked my mothers investments again today (13th) what with all the bother of late here in the UK, her investments with Halifax Bank of Scotland are down around £20,000 around $34000 dollars. Pretty rough considering she's been saving over 40 years, shes now 78 and considering keeping it in bean cans. :)