Heat resistant PVC pipe

rajam

The exhaust for my generator comes out right below our bedroom slide out. I want to add an extention to bring the exhaust above the MH. I hear that there is a PVC pipe that is heat resistant, if this is so, I think it's what I'm looking for to build the extention with. Anyone out there know where I can find this type of PVC?

H2H1

Re: Heat resistant PVC pipe

Hello Ray and welcome to the forum. I would look at a plumbing supply company and see what they have to offer. Please reply back if you able to get what you are looking for . I might want to do the same as mine is vented the same way.

Darlin

Welcome Ray.

I may be missing something here But isn't PVC a plastic pipe? :question: Wouldn't plastic melt from the heat of the exhaust pipe? :question:

Darlin :cool:

Browzin

Here is a couple of pictures of making a genturi for extending the generator exhaust above the roof.

No I did not design this, I copied these instructions from another RVer that sent them to me. I have been using this for a few years now and haven't had a single problem.

First is a close up of the connection between exhaust pipe and stand pipe, second is all pieces ready to go back into storage.

Material 3" black ABS pipe, electrical emt 90 degree elbow, 3 metal stips pop rivited to emt/abs making connection, on generator end of emt there is a hitch pin to keep the emt connected to gen exhaust, bungie cords to keep verticle pipe standing straight up side of MH. Painting of parts optional.

genturi3.jpg

genturi2.jpg

I have pictures of another home made genturi that uses PVC pipe instead. If any one wants those pictures I will post them as well.

ON EDIT: forgot to mention that the air gap between emt pipe and ABS Pipe is approx 2" to 3" it is not critical, this allows hot exhaust to mix with fresh cold air and prevent ABS pipe from getting hot. The exhaust noise is very minimal.

hamdave

RE: Heat resistant PVC pipe

PVC is 'poly-vinyl-chloride' and I think you might be talking about a different product. I know of no version of PVC material that can take the heat of an exhaust application as you subscribe to do. You might try an auto store such as auto-zone and ask if there is a product that will do what you want to do. Be careful though, what ever you use should be a good insulator as well, because you don't want it to heatup its external area and start a fire in your sidewalls (if that's what you were planning).

Good luck

Darlin

If PVC is plastic pipe ,RIGHT.....What Is ABS :question: Isnt it some kinda plastic also :question:

I sorta confused.

Darlin :cool:

elkhartjim

Go to your local muffler shop and have them fabricate a standpipe out of tail pipe material and then you don't have to worry about it. I would be concerned with the air gap in the above post design. Any kind of wind and you've defeated the purpose of getting the carbon monoxide away from the bedroom. Until the PVC heats up enough to form a draw...like in your fireplace at home, I'm afraid your asking for trouble. There was a young woman killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in Houston just last week. Generator on the back of RV and not properly vented. Unfortunately, till you wake up dead, you don't know you have a problem. My opinion only.