HELP! I need some advice, please

slabman

We got the motorhome and are ready to set out full-time. But after working all these years, I have second thoughts on how I will like this. The wife is firmly committed, but I'm gettin' the cold feet. When we vacation overseas for an extended period, I get anxious to get home and back on the job after only a month. So how does one transition into a full time lifestyle? Maybe sell the house and get an apartment, set up some of the belongings in there, store some and sell/trash all the other stuff we've been hauling from house-to-house all these years. I could then work part-time and travel the rest, evaluating my appetite for this. When (or if) the time comes when I'm fully ready to go, we can then ditch the apt., sell/store/ditch more stuff and commit to it full time. Or is there a better way?

Comments, please?

team3360

you could always work on the road, If your going to be in one place extended time you could work part-time , or get set up with satilite internet and work an online store such as ebay. if you do a third party that ships you dont have to stock any product. also check back on older questions in all forum catagories and read. lots of information hope this helps a little TEAM3360

slabman

Oh, I guess I should have explained the term "work". I inspect residential foundations in the Texas area and have not yet figured out how to do this from the windshield of my RV. <VBG> Boy, if I could do that, wouldn't life be wonderful?

turnipbwc

I would NOT sell your home until you are sure you like full time. If you have to, rent the home out until you know if you like full timing.
I know someone who sold their home and started full timing, after a few months they hated it and wished they had their home to go back to.
I think this is good advice, think about it and go slow.
turnip

Krazeehorse

Is your work for the state (new construction) or for realtors and buyers in the used market? If it's the latter I would think you could sell your services anywhere in the country. Especially with the help of local realtors. Almost all of them are members of a national chain like Century 21 etc. Good luck. It sounds like you have a great opportunity to do your work from "the windshield of [your] RV". :cool:

Kirk

It sounds to me as though a big part of the problem is that you are not sure that you really want to retire yet. If you don't want to retire then you probably are not ready to fulltime either. As much as we have loved our six years on the raod and look forward to many more, I recognize that it just isn't for everyone! Perhaps you need to ease into retirement, first?

JeffG

Bob, don't take this wrong way, but you, like most men, have defined yourself through work!

When you and myself lay on our death beds, I don't think either of us are going to say, "Geez, I wish I worked more. I wish I filed that report."

Man was not made to just work. Not getting spiritual on anyone here, but this was the punishment we received by our maker----"By the sweat of your brow, you'll earn your food."

You've worked most of your life---tell me, you'd rather do that or stand under the Redwood tree and see how insignificant any of us are in the grand scheme of things.

Forget work---something to do to pay the bills. But it's sad, if your entire life you get excited to work!

Start finding the REAL BOB! The one who as a kid dreamed to see the world, do things, create stuff------paperwork, traffic, and all the people surrounded by your work being "nice to you" ---politically correct to your face----this excite you?

Man, when I hit the coffin, I sure as hell will NOT wish I had worked more! Re-think your position in this world, Bob.

ARCHER

Hey Jeff (DR Phil),
Said pretty good.
Hey Bob,
I retired four years ago at the ripe ole age of 55 (yes I am very lucky to have been able to do that). I had thoughts of "I'm too young to retire, will I be bored, what am I gonna do now, etc.,". Well, to make a long story really short.......I have not looked back or second guessed myself one single day. WE spend the winter down South in warmer weather, head North in the spring, spend the spring and summer working in the yard, working on the house, fishing, raising a garden, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, WE HAVE TO FREEDOM TO SPEND A WHOLE LOT OF TIME JUST BEING TOGETHER WITHOUT THE HASSLES OF WORK SCHEDULES, BOSSES, BUSINESS TRIPS........KIND OF LIKE GETTING MARRIED ALL OVER AGAIN. Oh, almost forgot (haha), we can visit the four grandkids, take them places with us and return them to their mom and dad, when we get too tired to keep up...... ;)
Enjoy life, Bob, it is too short. I do what I want, when I want and how I want, as long as she :kiss: says it is ok... :approve:

RayinTampa

Im 57, in Oct 2004 I had my second heart attack. This one was massive and I died 3 times befor they got me into surgery. I learned that I loved my wife and that I want to spend a retirement with her enjoying all we had worked so hard for these years. I deceided I could live with a lot less if I could live the life I wanted and keep my health. I dont do work except when it pleases me. Workin on the Damon Ultrasport pleases me. hehe

RayinTampa

I retired at 50. Im 57, in Oct 2004 I had my second heart attack. This one was massive and I died 3 times befor they got me into surgery. I learned that I loved my wife and that I want to spend "a retirement" with her enjoying all we have worked so hard for these years. I decided I could live with a lot less if I could live the life I wanted and keep my health. I dont do work except when it pleases me. Workin on the Damon Ultrasport pleases me. hehe

onthecoach

Hey Slabman....JeffG said it all, as did all the rest. Here's my story:

It took my husband 12 years to convince me to marry him...I finally did marry him (2nd for both of us) and he died of a heart attack 3.5 years later! Let me tell you...trauma like this ---- you get your priorities in order REAL QUICK!!

It is now 7 years later....through God's good grace and a lot of luck....I have met another wonderful man. We are full-timing (neither of us had done this before) and having a BLAST!!!

LIVE YOUR LIFE, Slabman!!! Don't just worry about what will happen at the office if you leave!! They will go on....none of us are THAT indespensible!!!

My man & I are looking in to Workamping now...just to have something to do, meet new people, go to new places...see the country. We are planning a 5 month trip to Alaska via Canada for spring 2008!! The planning and anticipation is almost as much fun as the trip!!!

Got FOR IT!!!

Lynn & Henry :kiss: & :laugh:

JeffG

Great stories, everyone! Love reading your stories of how blessed we all are to live in the greatest nation ever on Earth!

God bless America! Anyone need some "attitude adjustments," just need to turn on the evening news for the body count and "drama" stories.

Life is short and was designed to be free----can't wait to join you people out there on the road!

bhoozhah

quote:Originally posted by slabman

We got the motorhome and are ready to set out full-time. But after working all these years, I have second thoughts on how I will like this. The wife is firmly committed, but I'm gettin' the cold feet. When we vacation overseas for an extended period, I get anxious to get home and back on the job after only a month. So how does one transition into a full time lifestyle? Maybe sell the house and get an apartment, set up some of the belongings in there, store some and sell/trash all the other stuff we've been hauling from house-to-house all these years. I could then work part-time and travel the rest, evaluating my appetite for this. When (or if) the time comes when I'm fully ready to go, we can then ditch the apt., sell/store/ditch more stuff and commit to it full time. Or is there a better way?

Comments, please?

Slabman,
I am 37 years old and have been a full-timer since April of 2003. I, too, was battling second thoughts as well. I was totally nervous and oozed with apprehension, and I was someone who had ½-timed each winter for a couple of the coldest months since the winter of 1997-1998.
The biggest hurdle really, at least for me, was acclamating to the fact that I no longer had a "home" to return to. At first, I referred to myself as "homeless person RVing" and not feeling as if and treating my RV like "home". My folks have a basement full of things I "could not bear to part with" when my "home" was sold. It was the only way I could pack up the trailer and go.
We've had two accidents in those three years. We've gone through two destroyed trailers (a Nomad and an Airstream) and one truck (flipped the long wheel-base `87 Chevy Suburban) in that time. We learned our lesson about "the good hands" coverage the hard way. Luckily, no one else was involved and we had no more than scratches and bruises, our dogs and each other when all was said and done. We stayed in motels, tents, the truck while looking for our new "home".
Now, I realize my home is where "my love" is...my husband, my dogs. At any time, I could go back to Chicago and stay with either family or friends. I choose this. This is the way to live...for me, my husband and my three dogs.

My recommendation (a.k.a. my comments) is DON'T get an apartment. Why sign a lease and pay rent in a place you may never live in? Get a lease on a big storage locker (which is much cheaper than a residency). Make sure it is secured with security and insurance. (Our storage locker from the first accident on Easter Sunday of 2003 was broken into and pretty much all was stolen.) Put everything in there that you "can't bear to part with" and might "want/need" someday. If you like being "on the road" you won't need to furnish an apartment. If you haven't touched the stuff in 1½ years and can barely remember what you've left behind, sell it or give it away to someone who needs it.
A storage locker is just a security blanket that means you don't have to start from scratch if you can't make it (meaning: being happy) as a full-timer.

Hope this helps,
Bhoozhah

tsprague1

If you really feel the need to keep working, what about joining other RVers and help Habitat for Humanity. Also, you can do structural work for a campground.

It may surprise you to find that you have more than enough to do without working, too. Give it some time. The fact that you made a decision to retire doesn't mean that you can't make another decision to return to work.