Help negotiating the price on a new fifth wheel

EricCharlton

Good morning! This is my first post on here, and I had a question about how to negotiate the purchase price for the new fifth wheel I am about to buy. I have been in contact with a salesman in the Salt Lake City, UT area about getting a fifth wheel, and he sent me three links to units that he thought best met my liking.

The MSRP listed on the pages were between 61k and 63k. I had previously told him that my budget was in the mid 40's. When I asked him why he sent me links for such expensive models, he said they were "having a sale" on those and they were available for 44,999. In your experience, how much can I realistically expect to talk him down?

If it helps, the models were the 2013 Keystone Avalanche 341tg, and the Dutchmen Komfort 3530FBH. Thanks for your help!

MO Dually

Greetings,
I am new to the forum and certainly don't want to sound like I am plugging for a specific vendor, as I am sure none of them please everyone :)

I purchsed my 5th Wheel a couple of years ago from RVDirect, one of the things I liked most was I could do all my research, send them in a request for a quote, and a few hours later I had a quote for the "sale" price. As I had done a fair amount of research I knew that the price I got was fair and reasonable. It really was very little hassle. We ended up getting 3-4 different quotes through them before we made up our mind, they never seemed to mind...

Now I have no idea if they even carry the brands you are looking for, so you would have to do that research yourself. Also they have 4 or 5 outlets around the country so location may be an issue for you. We are lucky to live about 4 hours away from one of them so it worked out well for us. But I will say I was very satisfied with the price and with doing business with them. I would also look at buying from them again, if they are still a reasonable outfit.

All that being said, I think if you shop around online, you should be able to figure out what the "sale" price really should be.

Good luck and Happy Camping!