Help with insurance

aussie Keith

We're still in the planning mode for our trip and, of course, the budget is important. We'd appreciate anyone giving us an idea for the cost of insurance for, say a 28-30ft 5th wheeler with a value of $25,000 - $30,000. This would be for full time use.

Also, if there are any other "aliens" already on a tour you may be able to let us know if there are any problems in getting covered if you are a non-resident.

Thinking about that, we'll need to "register" both truck and trailer in our names - will that present a problem?

Appreciate all suggestions.

hertig

Help with insurance

As dennis says, the insurance for the trailer will be minimal (I think mine was about $180 for a year, and that was through my car insurance company who are pretty high for RVs). Living in it 'full time' may cause the rate to be higher than that for occasional users.

The big expense will be insurance on the tow vehicle, since that will have to include Liability. On my GMC 2500HD, that runs about $400 per 6 months. That can be reduced, of course, by shopping around, lowering the coverage, and raising the deductables. It will be increased by high mileage (greater than 7500 miles per year) and problems with driving record. Don't know what the impact of 'alien' status might be. Also, I have heard that people with true 1 ton trucks (3500/F350) sometimes have trouble getting insurance on them and in some states, need a special driver's license.

aussie Keith

Help with insurance

Thanks to you both. It helps to have an idea of costs and both of those are cheaper than I expected. $1000 a year for a big truck like that sounds OK. I think I've made the decision to go for the Silverado 2500HD, which is the one that I think you have Hertig. A bit easier to park for the missus than the F250.
You'll have to excuse me typing slowly but we've had our first real shot of summer today - 42c and the computer is in the only room not air conditioned.
Thanks again, and if we meet on the road we can share a couple of cold ones.

hertig

Help with insurance

The Silverado 2500HD is from Chevrolet, mine is from GMC, but they are probably pretty much the same for all practical purposes. Someone once told me that the GMC was their 'classy' line, but who knows. I got the GMC because they had one in stock and Chevy didn't.

Before you commit to buy any truck, it would be best if you decided what trailer you are going to get. The GVWR and the pin weight of the trailer must not exceed the GVWR, Rear Axel Weight Rating or Combined Vehicle Weight Rating of the truck.

With my gas engine, towing even a 6500 25' lightweight 5ver was no fun up hills, even though I think the truck may be rated for around 9000 pounds. I've heard that with a diesel engine it might be rated for 14000 pounds. In any case, I would try to stay 20% under the maximum. And remember that anything or anyone you add to the truck or carry in the truck reduces its towing capacity.

Best method is to find one (truck or trailer) you like, then use the stats of that item to find the other appropriate part. Once you have a matching pair, get 'em both. In real life, this usually doesn't work out :) So, if you find the truck or trailer of your dreams, you could get it; just be aware that it will impose limitations when it comes to choosing the other part of the package.