Here are some of the problems I found with RVing

keithb

RE: Here are some of the problems I found with RVing

Doug
I have to say I agree with much of what you said in your post. I started looking for a Class A in the fall of 2009. In doing my research I have learned a lot along the way in 2 years. I grew up camping in a 20' Norris Kathy travel trailer.

Class A's are expensive to own, operate, maintain, and rent campsites. In a class A i wanted to be able fix a sandwich or to go to the bathroom just by driving off the road and stopping. Fuel is a major concern when you're getting 6-8 mpg. The drivetrain comes at a steep cost whether its gas or diesel. I see why many retirees host at campsites.

Toad: I hear what your saying. My 4Runner cannot be towed behind a vehicle. Its stated in the owner's manual. Bummer.

I thought about a 5th wheel but this would involve buying a truck and trailer that would be as much a used Class A.

In terms of RV's sales, there's a never ending supply of rv's here in Ca. It seems they are moving but I bet they find a new home in a new storage lot.

Over Thanksgiving, and Christmas I used a friend 14' Kenskill TT for 2 months. It was comfortable for my dog and me. My gas mileage went from 20-22 mpg to 12-14 mpg. I knew that would be the case.

I may be moving back to east coast next year. My parents still have the Norris and I may drop $2K-$3K to get it back on the road. I can tow it with the 4Runner.

So I guess I have full circle on the RV thing. Not inexpensive whatever mode travel you use.

Saltty

Re: Here are some of the problems I found with RVing

I'll just say that we have stopped worrying about the gas.....I'll travel as long as I can afford to.
We just got back from a trip to Montana from Portland....Dropped $700 on fuel but had a wonderful time.
Ya we could have drove the car, stayed in a motel but I like the same bed every night.

BrentS

Lots of interesting insight on this thread. I enjoy reading the wide range of opinions. I'm one of those guys that dwells on the expense of things and then I loose perspective on how important time with family and friends is. My children are going to be a Junior and Senior this fall. We have kicked around the idea of getting into rv'ing for a couple of years (weekend/summer vacation). It costs a lot $ but so does Disney World. I bit the bullet this spring and rented a 30' motorhome and took my family on a 2 week tour of northern CA. We are hooked! Now I just need to figure out what to buy. Any opinions on that?
I found a 1990 Southwind, 37', 16K miles, 454 Chevy Chasis with tow package under $14,000. Am I nuts to buy THAT used? I can pay cash and it gives us a lot of options (extra room for the kids friends to tag along). We like to offroad with our motorcycles and ranger and I think this MH would pull a trailer just fine. What do you all think?

Brent
First time buyer

H2H1

Well Brent, welcome to the RV world , as you see from my signature I have a 03 south wind and we love it. It is on a Chevy chassis with an 8.1 /Allison tranny. We just about to go over 24k on it. So I would have it checked over by a good mechanic of your choice and see if anything is wrong and all belts and hoses before I would lay down the cash. If all checks out OK have the owner to change all the fluids. Good luck

keithb

Brent
"I found a 1990 Southwind, 37', 16K miles, 454 Chevy Chasis with tow package under $14,000. Am I nuts to buy THAT used? "

this coach is 21 YEARS OLD. With only 14K miles its done a lot sitting. Check out thorougly. Be sure to check codes on the tires and the batteries. tires alone will cost $1500-$2000. My rule is to buy the newest I can afford, minimal mileage, and a great deal. Good luck.

DL Rupper

We had 15 FUN FILLED years fulltime RVing. We mostly were barely getting by, but we did get by and had a ball. Where there is a will there is a way. Unfortunately after many, many trips around the U.S., I (not my wife) burned out. But it was a adventure of a lifrtime. Good luck to all that can persevere through all the problems and have fun doing it. ;)

try2findus

So good to have you back DL. Like others, we have missed your posts. You are so blessed to have enjoyed 15 years of fulltiming and I hope Randy and I can follow in your footsteps! You have been an inspiration for so many and we thank you for that!

Don't be a stranger...you have so much to offer us newbies.

PS the Meet & Greet would be a great place to meet many of your admirers~just saying! ;)

Owning an RV is a commitment. Some people are not meant to have a motor home. Perhaps you are one of them if you find so many problems.

DL Rupper

Hey Jeanie and Randy, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to have helped out. Fulltiming is a way of life few can achieve, but the freedom of the road and the enjoyment of the unique life style are well worth it. Enjoy every minute of it as time flys when your having fun. :)

lovervliving

Interesting thread...

My husband and I have been RVing since 2002. We are now in our 2nd Class C Winnebago. The first one had no slides and the only reason we bought this one (with 2 slides) is because we ended up getting an unbelievable deal at an RV show. We've had this rig since 2006. The extra space is nice but we still only get about 7 miles per gallon. We have a toad (Saturn SUV) which was a "downsize" from our Dodge Durango and now it saves us about 2 miles/gallon when we're towing. Wouldn't give up the toad...

We've extended the length our trips each and every year since we bought the first rig. We really can't agree more with the above statement about the value of seeing and experiencing the beauty around us. It is priceless.

Due to the rising cost of life at this point, we are in the process of trying to sell our home and almost everything we own because we have really come to value our time in our RV. We've seen some fabulous places, met some incredible people, etc. We even started workamping last year because we wanted to spend more time in some of our favorite places so that we could get to know the areas better. So far, so good. Charleston, SC was a wonderful experience and Branson, MO has been a wonderful experience. We DO miss being on the road. That is our preference, but the economy hasn't smiled its face upon us (or most people), so we've adjusted. As my father used to say, "If the good Lord's willing, and the creek don't rise...",

Yes, we are considering a larger rig. Currently, leaning toward a 5th wheel. Time will tell, but we can't imagine not seeing all that is out there to see.

Wish everyone a happy RVing experience!!!

Pillaz

In my opinion $14k is a lot to pay for that coach. If it is good shape and you are handy $8k. I do like the south wind and the P30 chasis and 454 are a proven comodity. a Unit that has sat that long may have some issues, so check it out! Let us know what you decide, I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and I bought a very simiar unit. Took the wife and Three kids plus a few fake kids to just about every lake (we Tow a boat) and historical site we could find. Then sold it for a couple thousand less than I paid for it six years later. Then we boaght another old Nemar 96' in good shape and have continue on...Definately was worth it. Took the family (5) to Fort De Soto in FLA from New York for a week. Total cost just under $1600.00 Airfare alone would have been double that.

cougarkid

Like I said before, we are just really getting started. 2 years living full-time parked in our 32' RV.

We are about to upgrade to a 42', 1-slide diesel pusher w/ 80,000 miles.
Picking it up this weekend (8/13/11). w/
NADA lists it out at between $39,900 and $59,900.
We are getting it for $19,900.

Checked it out in person and climbed all over/under it.
Took it down the intestate and side streets.
Needs new rubber on roof - I can replace it for $1500. Done a roof before.
Even if I have to replace all 6 tires, it is still the bargain of the year.

WE ARE STEALING IT :laugh:

Plus, double the MPG of our smaller gas-driven 454CI RV for only 10% to 15% more in fuel cost per gallon.

Triple E

cougarkid - 8/11/2011 12:49 PM Like I said before, we are just really getting started. 2 years living full-time parked in our 32' RV. We are about to upgrade to a 42', 1-slide diesel pusher w/ 80,000 miles. Picking it up this weekend (8/13/11). w/ NADA lists it out at between $39,900 and $59,900. We are getting it for $19,900. Checked it out in person and climbed all over/under it. Took it down the intestate and side streets. Needs new rubber on roof - I can replace it for $1500. Done a roof before. Even if I have to replace all 6 tires, it is still the bargain of the year. WE ARE STEALING IT :laugh: Plus, double the MPG of our smaller gas-driven 454CI RV for only 10% to 15% more in fuel cost per gallon.

Did you have an engine and transmission oil analysis?

cougarkid

Will get complete check out when we get it home. Friend with a Cummins shop.

The seller (salesman) and his buddy bought it a year ago to "paint, clean up and use as a mobile office".
They realized an RV is more than just a big car. It has been sitting for the last year.

Engine is dusty (yes, dusty) with no visable signs of any leaks. He had a new alternator put on last week, since the old one died after we test drove it. (It wouldn't start when we got back)

It needs a little TLC. Vacuum, shampoo, scrub, buff.