Holding tank capacity

jewallac

I've always had 5th wheels with a large black tank - like 50 gallons. I'm looking at a lightwt 5th wheel that only has 32 gal tank. I'm wondering how long 2 adults could reasonably expect to camp with that capacity. Does anyone have a similar set up and can advise? Thanks.

June :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: Holding tank capacity

Without being careful, I know Sallyberetta and I can fill up our 40+ gallon black tank in a couple of days. I would have to dump on the third day.

2old2sit

Clodhopper:

People already think us Texans are full of it....now you are propogating the myth(or maybe not a myth). Are you sure you are talking about black water? We workamped last summer without any hookups and we could go two weeks easily, especially if we laid off the burritos! I once went three weeks, although I just about burned up my macerator emptying it. I think we had a 40 gallon tank.

H2H1

well it seems like it last for a few days when we camp. we do use a lot of water, but there again the wife has IBS so when she eats it off the the bath room. That is why we don't dry camp. we must have FHU when we camp. But I must say we did ok this when we was at Ken's open house and camping in his CG
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Steve, if you can make a 40 gallon black tank last for 3 weeks, then you have built up many layers of 'stuff' in there that you will eventually regret having put in there.

Flush water is the main thing that fills up your black tank, and you need plenty of it to allow 'stuff' to move to the drain outlet when you dump.

I would suggest that you find one way or another to really deep clean that tank.

Search the forum here, and you'll find MANY threads for how to clean out the tank. Just dumping it won't clean it out.

Geez, I hope we don't start repeating all of those black tank cleaning methods AGAIN! :clown:

2old2sit

Well, it is a good thing we live in the country. I have several really greens spots in the pasture where I have cleaned out that sucker after getting back home from dry camping. I am selling the MH and the new TT has a black water tank cleaner thingy. I could not have used that last summer, because we did not have water either. Hauled it in a 27 gal. poly tank.

Necessity is the mother of invention I guess. I have also noticed that the new TT seems to take more water than the 12 year old MH. I have changed out the shower head to a low flow and even the toilet takes more water to flush. Luckily, we will have water and access to sewer this summer.

I'm with you clodhopper, I don't want to read about cleaning black water tanks ad nauseum, so to speak.