Holding Tank chemicals

jd894

I am new to the sewage part of camping having just moved up from a pop-up and am need of some help on picking which chemicals to use as there are so many to choose from. Is there any one product that will work for both the gray and black tanks or do I need more than one.

Poppa

Holding Tank chemicals

SHOP WALMART and save your money. As to chemicals in the grey tank, we use just a VERY small amount of the same we use in the grey tank and do it just every once in a while.

Buy you a rinse nozzle, it looks like a plastic pipe with several holes in the side of it. It will help rinse the clumps out of the black tanh it cost about 5 bucks and it is better than pushing your hose in the stinky stuff

Kirk

Holding Tank chemicals

While I am no "tree hugger," I do strongly suggest that you use one of the bacteria products which are natural digesters, rather than any of the chemical products. Bacteria may cost just a little more, but it is also more environmentally friendly. With the high volume that some dump station septic systems must deal with, it is good to use what is helpful. You will hear many agruements about formaldehyde and other chemicals and I'll not get into that fight. But clearly the natural products will not cause any problems and they work just as well.

I would agree with Poppa on the gray tank. In warmer weather it would be wise to add some of the product to the gray tank and I would give it at least a 1/2 dose. Gray water can smell worse than the black at times due to the kitchen grease and such in it. But there is no need for a special product just for it.

While you are on the subject, be sure that you use a septic system friendly TP as well and always use plenty of water in your black tank. The #1 cause of problems in the black tank is too little water.

mrwebman

Holding Tank chemicals

quote:Originally posted by jd894

I am new to the sewage part of camping having just moved up from a pop-up and am need of some help on picking which chemicals to use as there are so many to choose from. Is there any one product that will work for both the gray and black tanks or do I need more than one.

Don't forget your fresh water tank also. Wal-mart has an additive for fresh water and it works great. I only do it once in a while - especially when the motorhome has been sitting for a while.

One more thing... regular toilet paper is fine - no need to buy the 'green' stuff as it doesn't work anyhow from what I've read. Remember, your tanks are called 'holding tanks' for a reason - they are not septic systems.

Cheers,
Dennis

'93 Gulf Stream Tourmaster
Jeep Overland toad