Hot water heater usage

CharlieS

I have my TT in a long term park for the winter where they charge you a lot rent plus electricity.

In looking at ways to conserve electricity, I was wondering about the hot water heater.

Do you guys think it uses less electricity if I leave it on all the time or if I only turn it on an hour or two before I intend to use hot water and then turn it off afterwards? Or is the difference enough to worry about?

By the way - it is 37 degrees here in Southern Florida this morning. I could have stayed home in North Carolina for this..

Charlie

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Hot water heater usage

Charlie, My first thought is that your elec. bill would be about the same. My father in law installed a timer on his house water heater years ago. Only on for a couple of hours in the morning. With just the 2 of them in the house, it worked pretty good. When we visited, we always ran out of hot water. He would NEVER say if it saved him any money, or not!! I don't think it did, because he would have bragged on the savings.

Your camper only has a 10 gallon heater. I think you will be turning it on more than you think, and I believe that keeping water warm is easier than heating cold water every time.

That is my opinion, try it one month and see if the difference is noticeable.

Forgot to add, it was 30 this morning in Va. and the wind is blowing.....don't even want to know the wind chillllll......

CharlieS

Thanks Kenneth..

I suspect you are right - but what I don't know is whether the hot water heating element is on all the time or comes on when the water temp drops based on a thermostat. If it is the latter it is probably cheaper to leave it on all the time. I say this because the hot water heater is so well insulated. I turned it off around 10 AM and the water was still hot enough to take a shower around 10 PM.

I'll give it a try both ways and see what happens. I can probably do it a week each way and take readings off the electric meter and have a pretty good feel.

I'll report back with my findings....

Charlie

LEN

I agree with just using the elec. I would also insulate the out side of the tank if not using the gas(just remember to remove) and this will hold the heat(hot water) and make the TT warmer.

LEN

rv52

RE: Hot water heater usage

I find this a really, really interesting topic. A good friend of mine is really big into green energy down here in Austin and I was really excited to speak with him about it.

http://www.rv52.com/2010/01/turning-on-and-off-water-heater-to-save.html

Anyway, he says you ALWAYS save energy no matter what. PERIOD. Now I asked him if there were any studies and he said I needed to just take his word for it.

I have found that there are other reasons to keep it on - bacteria.

Anyway, if you turn it off, when you turn it back on, make sure it gets hot enough to cook off the bacteria.

Sheri and I only turn on Puma's hot water heater when we need it. It is gas fired and only 6 gallons so it heats up quick.

G

RE: Hot water heater usage

but one thing ,, I hope u don't drink the water outta the water heater ,, even if it has bacteria (have never heard of that ) u are not drinking it ,, and taking a shower with it is no different than going swimming in a lake or river ,, cows and other animals do thier business in those same lakes and streams ,, some bacteria is good for u ,, keeps u'r imune system in ck ,, the anti-backteria stuff kills alot of what u'r body needs to build up it's own natural defense against what is out there ,, but this is JMO ,, and Btw i surf in one of the so called worst ocean waters in the world ,, Myrtle Beach SC ,, it was in the top five of the worst ocean water beaches ,, but u think that stops me ,, NO WAY ,, but again JMO :) :approve: :approve:

rv52

Thanks 730. I don't drink the hot water :) ,but it is routed to the hot water tap in the kitchen, right? I did get some the other day from the hot water tap for an instant mocha - but I microwaved it to get it really hot. But now you really have me thinking! I'm never going to think of hot water the same!

Oh, I also have learned that the bacteria that grow in the water, like Legionairre's (sp?) for example, infect you by getting in your system through airborne particles being inhaled and not through ingestion.

It seems like a very, very small worry though. I don't think I'll change my habits much - other than scrutinize the tap a little more.