Hot Water

cougarkid

Water heater is bad - split tank.
Atwood 6-gallon DSI LP/Electric model.
Opening is 12 1/2" high x 16" wide and space is 24" deep.
Can go about 1" taller.

Water heater is out and ready for new one.

What to buy to replace it? Atwood or Suburban?

Atwood 6-gallon is 12 1/2" x 16" x 16 7/8" deep - direct replacement.

Suburban 6-gallon is 12 3/4" x 12 3/4" x 19 3/4" deep - have to fill the side space to make it fit.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

H2H1

Re: Hot Water

I would go back with Atwood it seems it is a direct fit and no modification is required. That would make installation easier and cost less. But that is MHOP :laugh:

utmtman

If you can afford it you might want to look into one of them tankless units. I plan to if ever our take kicks the bucket. I have seen a house unit that my sister in law has and I was amazed she can run the washer and both showers running at the same time and never worry about hot water. And her unit is not much bigger than a small dvd player.

utmtman

Yes they are a bit expensive but its a constant hot water and they are all run on propane or natural gas. My son in law found one in a hardware store and installed it himself and he paid half what they sell on the net. Check with home depot or lowes. Also some propane companies now sell them and install them. The local one here in Wellington, Utah does. My sister in law has had hers for some ten years and has yet to have a problem. I saw a propane company in Az last year that also sold them and installed them I think it was in Lake Havasu.

cougarkid

Went with a replacement tank. Easier and cheaper. Tank was $185 plus tax with element and presure relief valve.

The drain plug spot had a "hot stick" in it. Original electric element went bad at some point and they didn't bother to fix it - just wired in a hot stick. I now have a free back-up hot stick, just in case.

Replaced the tank and the pipe connections at it. Running and hot water now in the RV.

Looked at the tankless models out there. Be sure and watch the hot water output rate. Gas models are pretty good, but to get good output from electric you need to go to 220V model. And yes, they cost!

Mike

cougarkid

BTW,

The warehouse/office I have rented has a 6-gallon 110v water heater in it (I installed it).

It is made by Artison. Model GL 4 Ti.
It is fairly small, can be floor on wall mounted, plugs into a regular outlet and can be connected with flexible piping.

Might be a good fit for an RV on shore power, or it could run off the generator.

Just a thought.

cougarkid

Follow up.

Water tank in RV got low, so i took the oppertunity to replace the plastic drain plug (that was dripping) with a brass petcock. Spun the plastic one out and the new one in iunder than 5 minutes. Now I can drain the hot water tank with ease.

Filled the tank and back in business.

Mike

H2H1

sounds good I may look into doing the same thing when I break it out of storage . That little plastic plug is hard to get to anyway with a tools to take it out, so maybe that pe cock will work for me.

TexasClodhopper

You need to do some research on electrolysis problems with dissimilar metals in contact with each other. Just so you know what to expect.