House Batteries..12V or 6V. ??

ironart

I have a 1992 National Dolphin 3400 that was just purchased. While checking all of the operating systems it seems that I cannot get the house batteries to hold more than 11.5 volts. Even after charging them for many hours with an outside charger. I am to the point that I am going to replace them but have a question. They are 2 12V batteries in parallel. I have heard that 2 6V batteries in Series is a better bet.... Would love to hear what you think..

Thanks
Paul
Hesperia, CA

C Nash

Re: House Batteries..12V or 6V. ??

Paul, you would need to go with 4 6volts and yes I think that is better if you have the room. Our electronics wizards will be here later to tell you more :)

ironart

RE: House Batteries..12V or 6V. ??

Thank You Funcampn. That was a great article. I do have room for the taller batteries as they are mounted in the front of the coach. They are more expensive but I have not had a chance to check out sames club or Cosco....That will be my next project.

Paul
Hesperia, CA

C Nash

Paul. be sure that yours are 12 volt. Mine has 2 6 volts and i thought they were 12v because they are about the same size as 12v would be. Been around batteries all my life and hadn't noticed they were 6s until I removed them just yesterday to clean the compartment. Had added water to them when needed and knew there were just 3 water fill holes on each battery but was just assuming they were 12 :blush: just the 2 work fine for us :)

G

now Nash ,, u were spose to notice the 3 ports ,, instead of 6 ,, shame on u :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

Well I was just assuming Rod and you know what that generall does makes an ass-u-me :laugh: :laugh: . One reason I gave up the wrenches old mind just not what it used to be :laugh: Sure hope people here don't listen to me :eek: . Now what was I talking about :dead:

ironart

Good observation....I will check on that one... Thanks for the tip....
Paul
Hesperia, CA

ironart

OK...I just checked and they are, for sure, 12V batteries....connected in Parallel. There might have been 6ers in there to start.....The cables are plenty long enough for that kind of connection.

Paul
Hesperia, CA

:)

ironart

Thank You to everyone who commented on my question.....
I think I am going to replace with what I have 12V batteries. The 6 volt Golf Cart are much more expensive and don't last any longer. I have a solar panel on the roof with charge control and I really don't need the extra reserve that the 6 volt batteries could provide and if worst comes to worst...I can almost replace them again for the cost of the Trojan 107s.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Paul
Hesperia, CA :)