How can a Swiss get the right Insurance?

sven

First of all, many thanks for all the information I could find in your forum. It gave me the power to move on in my plans to buy a 5th wheel with truck in the states. :cool:

We are Swiss and I have to say sorry for my bad English. But I hope you will understand all my points… :blush:

Since nearly 2 years I’m planning to buy a rv in the states for using it part time during our holidays.

Now we have decided to buy a Carriage, Cameo 352b3 / 2009, and a Ford f350 dually 2008. :bleh:

In the same time I checked a company in Montana, which would open for me a LLC. This would be great, I thought.
1. No Sales taxes.
2. Cheap registration fee
3. No yearly control for the truck or 5th wheel.
4. The company would do everything for me, I don’t have to go to Montana. :) :) :)

But now started my problem.

I asked about 20 insurances for a solution. :(

What I would like to have:

1. An insurance, where I can go with an international license.
2. An insurance, which accept the LLC
3. An insurance, where I can stay for more than 6 months in Canada
4. An insurance, where I don’t have to pay for the full year: full insurance when I use it, reduced insurance during the time when the
Rv is stored in a hall.

Now they told me, for Canada are max. 5 months allowed. Ok. I have to accept it. Then they told me, they have only full insurance or nothing, with a minimum of 6 month duration. Others don’t accept a LLC, others don’t accept the international license. :(

So I checked the progressive insurance, the only who accept the llc with a international license!? But they do only a full year insurance.
So I have to pay for the Truck 1600 USD for a half year, (3200 p.a.) and 650 USD for the 5th wheel, (1300 p.a.). This is totally 4500 USD per annum. No problem if I could go the whole year camping. But I use it only for around 4 weeks in a year. That means, I pay 4500 USD for 4 weeks holiday! This seems to me very strange! :(

Do you know, if there is a better way?
Is there really no solution, where I only have to pay for maybe 3 months and for the stored time a reduced fee? I only need a insurance against fire, water and “crime”. (Sorry I don’t know how to explain it better).

Maybe it’s easier at the end to get a address in Florida, register it in Florida, pay sales taxes, make the us license every time when I go there and get maybe a better and cheaper insurance.

Please, it would be great to get some feedback from you, as it's quite difficult getting all this information out of Switzerland

Many thanks.

Sven

sven

Re: How can a Swiss get the right Insurance?

Triple E, Many thanks for your help.

I checked the offered insurance with my insurance person in switzerland.

We find out, does I don't need so many insurance.

I took out the insurance for the persons in the car. Because we have an insurance in
switzerland for an accident which will pay.

I reduced the costs by taking the deductible from usd 500 to 1000.

After 6 month I can even take out the most insurances for the storage and switch it back when used.

With a LLC and an international driver license I will pay for the 5th wheel plus
truck about USD 2000 to max. 2500 per year.

This is ok for me.

I found now the right 5th wheel, truck, insurance and LLC to start my dream in the state.

Thanks

Sven :cool:

Triple E

Re: How can a Swiss get the right Insurance?

Alright good news. If you make it to the Pacific Northwest, let me know. Happy and safe travels. :cool:

:8ball: