How is the surge dealt with?

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by smilinjohn, Feb 21, 2010.

1. smilinjohn

smilinjohn New Member

I've been led to believe that with an inverter generator that has two ports; i.e., a 3,000 running watt inverter generator, that each port provides access to 1,500W to a device attached. What happens when the attached device starts up with a wattage surge beyond the 1,500 watts available to that port?

:) John

2. Guest

Guest Guest

RE: How is the surge dealt with?

Kinda confusing ,, are u talking an Inveter (12 volts , to 120 volts) or a genset ,,, 120 volts ,, maybe i am missing something ,, and yes i have read u'r other post ,, but if it were me ( i have held back on this) IMO i would get the bigest genset that is made ,, i have a 6.6 kw in my MH ,, and there is nothing that it will not run , at the same time but again ,, JMO :)

3. smilinjohn

smilinjohn New Member

Hi, '730'

Sorry for the confusion. I'm a beginner and am struggling with the terminology and definition. Inverter generator, like the Kipor Sinemaster KGE (IG) series; or the Honda EU series. I don't know what a genset is.
    Hope this provides further clues as to what I'm asking. Each port puts forth x amount of watts @ 120V, as I understand it. If I have a device plugged into one of the 120V ports, what happens when the device (i.e., air conditioner) attempts to power-up with greater surge watts than available to the port?

4. smilinjohn

smilinjohn New Member

Thanks to Brad Murphy, V.P. at Subaru/Robin for the primer on this subject......goooood article, Brad. I believe, now I will be able to chime in, should this topic come up again. Thanks, again!

5. Triple E

Triple E Senior Member

Re: How is the surge dealt with?

John, can you share this article us? I believe the kipor has a 30 amp connection. If your trailer has a 30 amp plug then you won't have to worry about the surge. JMHO

:8ball:

6. smilinjohn

smilinjohn New Member

Re: How is the surge dealt with?

Steve, I'll have to locate primer on the net. It was late and I was tired, when I read it. I meant to save the article, but I guess I forgot.

Also, instead of purchasing a gas inverter generator to power the air cond. at horse shows, I'm going to install a "Fantastic-Fan" in the ceiling, to be run on 12V. I don't want the liability of running the invert. gener., where a child or an inexperienced person might get injured/dead from messing with it while I'm off watching the horse show. I'm not sure how I might ground the generator at each horse show that we might visit, either. Perhaps more problem than its worth. So, the "Fantastic-Fan" for right now will have to serve the cooling purpose.