How is the year of an RV deternined- by its chassis?

newfiepet

I am looking at purchasing a National 34D Surf Side RV that's being advertised as a 2007. When I received the Carfax it's listed as a 2006. The dealer is telling me that the chasis is a 2006 but the motorhome was actually built in 2007. Is it considered a 2006 or a 2007? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

akjimny

Re: How is the year of an RV deternined- by its chassis?

Hi Millie, and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I'm in the same boat. My chassis was built in 2006 but the coach was built in 2007. It is registered as a 2007 vehicle, but when shopping for parts for the engine and transmission, I have to be sure and get 2006 year parts.

I guess the manufacturers can't get all the coaches built in the same year as they buy the chassis. Apparently it is no big thing with the RV industry. Among the important things to check are the date(s) the tires were made and the condition of the coach batteries. I know this from expensive experience.

Again, welcome, and post back to let us know how things go. :) :)

Triple E

Yes I agree with Jimmy, Most RV have an older chassis than body. The body year will be the same as the registered year.

Clay L

I found this somewhere and saved it.

"Please be advised that the practice of titling recreation vehicles based on the year of manufacture of the coach and not the chassis was confirmed by resolution of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators in 1979. Resolution 18c, 19c, and 20 of the AAMVA apply.

It is important to note that in a two-stage manuracturing process the model year is not obtained from the chassis VIN but from the Final Stage (Coach) Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO). Model year is defined in Chapter V, Part 571 of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (Federal Register Volume 44 No. 57 Thursday, March 22, 1979). "Model Year means the year used to designate a discrete vehicle model irrespective of the calendar year in which the vehicle was actually produced so long as the actual period is less than 2 years."

The Federal Trade Commission recognized the fact that the model year of a motor home is assigned by the Final Stage (Coach) manufacturer in May 1979 (Federal Register Volume 44 No. 103/ Friday, May 25, 1979; 16 CFR Part 14). In that document the Federal Trade Commission requires Final Stage (Coach) manufacturers to designate the model year of a vehicle. It stated that "manufacturers of chassis or incomplete vehicles sold to motor home or recreational vehicle manufactures who issue a separate Certificate of Origin need not assign model years to these vehicles."

C Nash

Good information Clay. :approve:

vanole

Into this way late not sure of other manufacturers but Monaco's have a metal tag (at least the two I have owned) on the lower left hand side of the sidewall under the drivers window that has the manufacture date, vin, model number and coach number.

v/r
Jeff