How many hours are on your generator?

scottb80

My meter reads over 1300 hours, is that a lot? I have no maintenance records on it but it seems to run fine. Just curious what other have on theirs.

JimE

Scott, I have 1750 hours on my 2005 Georgie Boy generator. Only thing that I ever had to do was replace the fuel filter. So I have many more hours per year than you do and I think thats the key, USE IT. If you havent run it in a month, crank it up and run it under load for 30 - 60 mins, it keeps everything running clean and keeps it from getting all gunked up. I gotta admit, I like your profile picture.

Pancanbob

Hi, Jim
You say you haven't done anything to your Generator set, no oil & filter change?
I thought you should change the oil & filter every 100 hours?
Have a good day
Thanks

H2H1

Hi Scott and Jim E. I have a date on my calendar to go and start mine the 1st of the month and as you Jim I run it for 30-45 min. under a full load. I had to buy a carb. for it last year. We was dry camping and ran the tank down to 1/4 and it shut off. Well we did fill up the MH. but I forgot to start the genset, well you know what happen and that varnish residue built up and messed it up.Like I said, I ended up buying a new carb. to get it working right, So Scott go use it and do it offen even if it is the yard or storage facility.

scottb80

JimE;74542 said:
Scott, I have 1750 hours on my 2005 Georgie Boy generator. Only thing that I ever had to do was replace the fuel filter. So I have many more hours per year than you do and I think thats the key, USE IT. If you havent run it in a month, crank it up and run it under load for 30 - 60 mins, it keeps everything running clean and keeps it from getting all gunked up. I gotta admit, I like your profile picture.

I try to remember to start mine up and run it with a load, but sometimes I go a couple of months in-between starts. I ran it quite a bit at a boon-dock camping trip at the end of August and it performed well. Thanks for the comment on my avatar, kind of reminds me of me... wishing I could lay back and drink some nice wine.

JimE

You're right Bob I left out the most important reason mine starts every time, I change the oil routinely. See its so second nature I forgot to mention it!!

vanole

I like the others have said, start and run mine loaded at least monthly with a healthy cool down period at the end of the exercise. Additionally along with the routine maintenance of oil and filters (oil, air and fuel) changes if its a diesel remember to change coolant.

I also start my generator from all the availiable options (dash, remote, and on the generator panel).

Jeff

Triple E

vanole;74562 said:
if its a diesel remember to change coolant. Jeff

Always be sure to use Diesel Antifreeze for diesel engines. There is a difference between gas engine water jackets and the diesel engine water jackets so you need to use the right antifreeze.

My practice for my generator during the winter storage is to run it for two hours on the first Sunday of the month. I have an old power hungry space heater that I plug into the outside receptacle on my motor home. First I warm the engine up for 10 mins. Plug in the space heater for about an hour and 45 mins, unplug the space heater, let idle for 5 mins then shut'er down. I know this is not your question but thought I would throw it in there anyway. Also don't forget the fuel stablizer for gas or diesel.

BarneyB

My current coach 2010 already has over 900 hours on it, my last one I bought new on 2002 had almost 5000 on it. I change the oil and filter every hundred hours and air and fuel filter every season.