How much fun is full time RVing?

B cham

Hi First timer to site and to rving, don't have one yet but looking at a couple of used not sure what questions to ask or what to look for.My wife and I are traveling around the west Ca, Az she is a travel nurse and I'm forced retired. Right now we are staying in furnished apartments and I'm thinking about buying a mh to live in full time to take advantage of the housing allowance. Never been in a RV but loved camping any suggestions???? Any advice would be GREAT THANKS

Ages 50
Both skinny (thankfully)
Good health

C Nash

Not for all but loving it. Welcome to the forum. Advice look read browse ask questions. Research and don't jump into the first rv you see. Sit in it, Lie on the bed, ck the kitchen, is the bathroom big enough. Check carrying capacity of the MH to be sure it has enough. Will you buy new or used? We can really live on the road cheaper than home. No we did not sell out home just put it in mothballswhen we leave. Have to go back ever once in a while. just a few things that come to mind. Hang around you will get more.

akjimny

Hi B Cham and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. If I read your post correctly you will be using the RV more for a home than for camping. If that is the case I would recommend a fifth wheel trailer over a motorhome. You would need a truck to pull it, but that would then be your around-town transportation. Full timing with a 5er can be pretty nice, especially if you don't plan on moving every day or week or so. They have plenty of room and the bedroom is separate from the living area, which is nice. With a motorhome, you would either have to pull another vehicle (toad) or disconnect everything and break camp every time you went to town for gorceries.

Hope this helps some. We're always here to provide answers - some right - some wrong - your choice.:):)

Triple E

Hello Cham and again welcome to RVUSA. :applause:

What do you mean by "traveling nurse"? Does you wife stay in one area, travel city to city or state to state. If we know we may be able to help you out more.

B cham

She Travels around city to city since sept we have been in ohio, arizona, and now ca looking for a used I want to pay cash 10,000 to 20,000 seems to be many for this price range. We travel now by car not sold on the 5th'er yet would like more info on them we would stick around for 3 - 6 months in one location. Thanks again

C Nash

B cham I have had both 5th wheel and now MH. MH fits our needs best but we dont stay in one place for over 2 weeks. We do have a toad which we use to roam when parked. Our gas cost is about the same as when we had a dualy towing the 5th wheel overall. If you have to purchase a truck to tow and 5th wheel price will not be much different. In the price range of 10k to 20k getting a good 5th wheel and truck will be hard IMO. Same for MH and toad although you can get a used saturn pretty cheap for toad. MH may cost more to maintain unless you are handy with repairs. We have a 33 ft with 2 slides and it has enough room for the 2 of us. Would I like more yes but like the size for our kind of travel. Think a toad would serve you better for wife back and forth in city. ajmo Only you and wife can make the final.

ejdixon

Welcome to the forum!

Since you mentioned that you've never been on an RV yet, I'd suggest to give it first a go on a few short camping trips to see if you enjoy it before going full-time right away. Try renting a few different models during these camping trips to find out which RV you feel most comfortable with. From there, extend the short camping trips from a few days to a few weeks and then a month or two to see how you enjoy it.

Good luck!