How to open propane valve?

Middiedad65

Hi all

About a month ago, I started a thread with a question about propane that turned into a long discussion about what constitutes a tank vs a cylinder and lots of legal stuff. Anyway, ultimately, I took my class C down to the local RV dealer and he filled the propane tank with no questions asked.

We are about to leave on our first ever RV weekend. I plan to leave in about 7 hours when my kids get out of school. I was just out going over things in the RV and realized that the propane was shut off ( I assume that was done when they filled it). I do not know how to turn it back on. This has to be the ultimate newbie question.... but I really don't know how to do it. The RV owner's manual says nothing except to use the main valve. It doesn't even tell me where to find the valve.

When I open the hatch in the back where the tank lives, there is only one valve in there. When I turned that valve, propane started to "spray" out from the are around the handle. I immediately retightened that valve to stop the propane from spraying out. Is there likely another valve someplace? Help, please!

Middiedad65

Re: How to open propane valve?

Nevermind..... I'm such a rookie. I just turned the valve quickly past the point where some gas escapes and all is fine.

utmtman

There should be a knob to turn it on. If you opened that and it leaked than you got a problem. The only other place to open that tank is a bleeder valve that open by hand or with a screwdriver but it should be pretty small. Also there should be a line connecting around where you turned that valve on. If there is than you have the correct knob or valve.

LEN

Only two types of valves on RV's I seen are one the near the size of a garden water valve about 1 1/2" across and the other a remote switch/valve fill port and this switch is a small electric switch. And HI LEE and FRAN, the other valve is like Utmtman said is a small bleed valve that is about a 1/2" across and tells the fill station attendant that the tank is full by spewing propane as it nears the full point.
Here is a valve
http://www.berrylandcampers.com/rv-parts/files/t_2137.jpg
Here is the remote fill without the switch
http://www.conceptrides.com/images/2337_b.jpg
Couldn't find the picture of fill port and switch.

LEN