Hurricane in southern Illinois

SnowbirdInFlight

Well we escaped a tornado in Florida by a few miles and then get home and get hit by an inland hurricane in southern Illinois on May 8, 2009! Go figure. Three counties have been declared disaster areas. The winds were officially recorded at 106 miles an hour! We lost a total of 19 trees. :eek:

I'm so glad Jim talked me into getting the generator! Our trailer stayed put thanks to the outriggers Jim made for the trailer and since we have a propane fridge and hot water heater, we didn't lose any food due to power outage. Over 100,000 without power and that is down to about 50,000 now I think. They have done a great job. Will try to post pics later showing damage. :eek:

Sad, but there was one death associated with storm. Surprising it wasn't more but thank God only the one, and not many injuries.

Here is a link to a video a guy took from his car/truck: LINK

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Hurricane in southern Illinois

Finally got power back on at our trailer. I must say I really appreciate all the linemen that have come to southern Illinois to help out with all the downed poles (over 1,000) and the men who have helped get all the downed trees (over 3,000) off the power lines in order to restore power to all the residents. They are should really be commended for all there hard work 24 hours a day since the 8th of May. Currently we are expecting more storms between now and Saturday. I only pray that we don't have any more strong winds. :(

brodavid

Re: Hurricane in southern Illinois

I just thank God that you and yours are safe, will keep you and yours in our prayers

SnowbirdInFlight

brodavid - 5/15/2009 9:36 AM I just thank God that you and yours are safe, will keep you and yours in our prayers

Thanks for your good wishes. Oh, and by the way the tree count was just for Jackson County. I'm sure the other counties involved had the same amounts if not more. You can't drive down one square acre without seeing either a tree down, a tree down on power lines, a tree down on a house/structure, unless the square acre only contains a field of grass, lol.

Stores are almost all reopened now. The Dairy Queens are still closed in the area but, I know they had to have been hit hard with the power outages because it doesn't take long for ice cream to melt. I'll bet they had a HUGE mess to clean up.

elkhartjim

Hey Tex...didn't you have more damage than that in your yard after Ike? Sorry, the devil made me do it.

SnowbirdInFlight

elkhartjim - 5/15/2009 11:11 AM Hey Tex...didn't you have more damage than that in your yard after Ike? Sorry, the devil made me do it.

Might be a joke to some but isn't to the 10's of 1,000's of people of southern Illinois. Lots of people lost property and one man lost his life. I don't find it funny in the least. :disapprove:

elkhartjim

If 10's of 1,000's suffered and it never made the news I would suggest that you contact you're governor (whatever jail he's in) or your senator that's now your president. You need to understand sb that nobody responds to your posts because most have blocked you. I'm going to continue to watch so I can respond. I'm glad you're leaving Kirk alone. I understand you're lonely and bitter so bring it on................

SnowbirdInFlight

elkhartjim - 5/15/2009 5:38 PM If 10's of 1,000's suffered and it never made the news I would suggest that you contact you're governor (whatever jail he's in) or your senator that's now your president. You need to understand sb that nobody responds to your posts because most have blocked you. I'm going to continue to watch so I can respond. I'm glad you're leaving Kirk alone. I understand you're lonely and bitter so bring it on................

For your poorly informed self, our Governor is Pat Quinn and he is not in jail. If you think I'm so horrible, why would you even respond to my post? Oh wait, it was to be mean.

You are one cold-hearted and mean-spirited excuse for a human being. I feel very sorry for you. You are the lonely, sad, bitter person. I am perfectly happy and satisfied with my life. And as far as 'leaving Kirk alone', I have not bothered him. I have corresponded with him privately and found out he was not who I saw and we were quite civil to each other, thank you.

However, you have chosen to attack me when I was posting about a devastating event that happened where I live. If you were smart enough to check, you would Google it or do a search on Yahoo using the correct terminology to find out what happened. I did a quick search for 'inland hurricane may 8, 2009' and got plently of articles. I guess you just aren't too computer savvy.

WSILTV.COM local station

Southern Illinois University

As far as 'bringing it on', my mother and father always told me never to do battle with an unarmed person. You are not worth my time and will be blocked from now on.

SnowbirdInFlight

brodavid - 5/16/2009 6:55 AM morning Snowbird morning Jim

Good morning to you! Thank God it seems like the weather has calmed down for a few days. This will give us and all the other people in southern Illinois a chance to clean up some storm damage. Jim and I took a drive yesterday through the country and saw two single-wide mobile homes that had been turned over by the wind. I just pray no one was inside and got hurt.

SnowbirdInFlight

Weather Service: Storm was a 'derecho'
By Becky Malkovich, The Southern
Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:23 PM CDT
The May 8th storm that lashed the region brought not only destruction but also a new word to Southern Illinois' collective vocabulary: derecho.

In weather terms, a derecho, from a Spanish word meaning straight, is a widespread and relatively lengthy windstorm accompanied by a band of fast-moving showers or thunderstorms.

A derecho (pronounced similar to "deh-REY-cho" in English) sometimes has a bookend vortex, or comma head, on the north side of the system.

According to information provided by the National Weather Service in Paducah, the May 8 system had an unusually large bookend vortex, some 30 to 40 nautical miles, or approximately 34 to 46 miles, in diameter, whereas the average vortex is only 12 nautical miles in diameter.

Most of the damaging winds occurred on the southwest and southern end of the comma head, according to the weather service.

Swirl in a few tornadoes as Mother Nature did that afternoon, and the resultant cocktail packed a furious punch.

Peak wind gusts were measured at 81 mph in Carbondale before the automated system died, while 106 mph winds were measured on a different instrument.

One fatality and numerous injuries resulted from the storm.

Tree and power lines were toppled and structures damaged in the large path taken by the storm, which included the cities of Murphysboro, Carbondale, Carterville, Herrin, Marion, Johnston City, West Frankfort, Galatia and Harrisburg.

Gov. Pat Quinn declared Franklin, Gallatin, Jackson, Randolph, Saline and Williamson counties as state disaster areas, and the application process for a federal disaster declaration is under way. The designations make the areas eligible for state and federal funds to aid in the cleanup and recovery efforts.

beckymalk@gmail.com

618-927-5633

LINK to paper