hydro to trailer

jazzdancer

hello everyone,
can anyone give me an answer to my problem.
i have a dutchman 35ft trailer, which i would like to supply to with power with a Generater, which has two 120volts receptacles rated at 15 amps, and one 240volt receptacle also rated at 15 amps, i would like to have at least a 20 amp supply to the trailer if possible,
thanking you in advance,
Alex.

C Nash

Re: hydro to trailer

Alex it all depends what you want to run off those receptacles. We need more info. Guess you are wanting to know what size generator you need.

Kirk

As an electrician, I can tell you that the capacity of each outlet is a combination of both voltage and current. If you were to attach a transformer to the 240V outlet which then stepped it down from 240V to 120V the result would be a supply of 30A at 120V. That is the proper way to do what you want.

The outlets that you have are two 15A at 120V which supply 1,800 watts each for a total of 3,600 watts.

The 15A-240V outlet is also capable of supplying 3,600 watts. I suspect that your genset is not designed to supply both at the same time, but you can tell that from the rating of the set. If it is rated for about 3.5KW then that would mean that you can have either the two 120A outlets or the one 240V outlet but not both at full capacity. On the other hand, if the unit is rated for 7KW or more, they you could use all four outlets at full load at the same time.

jazzdancer

hello Kirk,
the generator is rated at 3500watts, surge watts4800
amps---29.1 / 14.5
volts----120 / 240, this is how it is written in their spec.
this is all new to me
i was online checking transformers, and they were talking single phase, three phase, and KVA, can you shed any light on these terms, as i see that you know a lot about electricity.
i'm curious, could a cable be made up to to join the two 120volts 15amp receptacle together, what could i expect, other than a loud bang

jazzdancer

hello C Nash,
thank you for your reply.
i already have a generator, it is rated 3500 watts, with the receptacles as explained, the RV has a 30amp receptacle,for cable hookup. There is an air conditioner in the RV,
I got some good information from another member Kirk, and i have messaged him again.
thanks again.
Alex - jazzdancer