i need help with a 1982 winniebago chieftain

i have a 1982 winniebago chieftain with a chevy 454 in it and it has 3 batteries and one is bad. it is sitting at my cousins house and has a bad batterie and i need to know if it will start with just the two.

utmtman

Re: i need help with a 1982 winniebago chieftain

If you have two good batteries it should start just fine. The two should carry 12 volts quite easily. The third battery is almost an extra.

ok i was just makeing sure im takeing a cab so i can pick it up and i didnt wanna go out there and it not have power to start becouse it is 2 hours away from me and it whould reeally suck if it whouldnt

C Nash

Dylan, I am assuming that you have 2 house and one for starting the engine. If the engine battery is dead it will not start unless you have a switch for Aux start. I would take jumper cables just in case or you could remove one of the house batts and install in in the engine.

Kirk

I believe that Nash is correct that you have two batteries that supply the coach and one which is for the chassis. How is it that you know that one battery is bad, and which one?

Just what is wrong with the battery plays a part in the answer to your question. If the bad battery has a shorted cell, it will probably prevent the starting unless you take it out of the circuit. If the battery has an open cell, it won't prevent it. You may want to try putting a charger on the batteries before you do other things.

That switch could be labeled "Aux Start" or it may read "Emergency Start" or some other variation meaning the same thing. If it is there you will need to hold in down while you start the engine.

ARCHER

Well, Chelse and Kirk are correct. I had an 89 Winn Chieftain. It had three batteries. One for engine start. Two for house batteries. If the engine battery would not crank, I could hold down a rocker switch on the dash that would activate the house batteries for starting the engine. Like Kirk stated....how do you know which battery is dead? Which battery is dead? If it is the engine battery, you need to replace or fill w/distilled water and make sure it is fully charged. Maybe it has a draw of power causing it to go dead. Make sure you take tools to either replace the battery, jump it (cables), charger/water to try and charge it. Not sure if they had the auxilliary start using house batteries back in 82 but my 89 did have it.If you need more info, just ask away. In 6 years I crossed the of several items that required fixing/repair on my unit, so been there done that so perhaps I could help.