Inexpensive Campgrounds?

benwd

Re: Inexpensive Campgrounds?

And don't miss the campgrounds at the huge flea market at Donna TX.

SnowbirdInFlight

benwd - 3/1/2007 3:16 PM And don't miss the campgrounds at the huge flea market at Donna TX.

So true. As a matter of fact as I type this I'm in Weslaco, Texas at the Snow to Sun RV Resort on International Blvd just 7 miles from Mexico. The monthly rate here is $359 plus you have metered electric that you pay at the end of the month. It is cable and phone ready, but we use Dish and have cell phone. They also have Tengonet wireless internet throughout the park. It is very good and only $30 per month. So you have all the comforts of home. The best part is they have Happy Hour every weekday at 3 to 4:30! :laugh:

Humidity right now is only 20% at 77 degrees. Quite nice out. However, yesterday was in the low 80's with 60 plus humidity, so it was a little hot. Overall, I really love being a 'Winter Texan'. The RGV really treats us like Gold here. They cater to us and even have big billboards welcoming us every year. Signs say - Welcome Home Winter Texans. But, right around now - March - it starts to get a little hot for me so we will be leaving on the March 7th and start working our way back to southern Illinois. We do like Port Lavaca, Texas too.

Oh and the Port Aransas area is great too. While I'm on the subject if you get to Matagorda Bay, Texas be sure to check out their newest RV park. Here is the link: http://www.matagordabayrv.com/ I can't remember exactly what the monthly rate was, but the weekly rate was $125. Full hookups and right on the Colorado River/Gulf of Mexico. Great place to stay. The only draw back is that the closest big town (Bay City) is about 26 miles away. Although Matagorda Bay is only about 11 miles and they do have stores, gas, and a couple of nice restaurants. If you like birding, you will really like Matagorda Bay.

SnowbirdInFlight

Here's a few pictures showing our camp site at Matagorda Bay RV. Wonderfully long spots and plently of room in between. A short walk to the fishing dock or beaches. Our trailer is 38 foot long and our truck is an extended cab with a full size bed and you can see we still have room to spare.

Ourspot.jpg

Viewfromouryard.jpg

Gulf01.jpg

Sunset03.jpg

thtravel.gif

Texas_Camper

Just exactly where is this campground? I understand it's a new one. I've been to Matagorda Island State Park, Port O'Connor and to the Rockport area.
To anyone not familiar with the Texas Gulf Coast, there's plenty of sand, sunshine and hot temps there during June, July and August. There was some talk about high humidity in Texas. The Gulf Coast certainly has some of that too. Good place Fall, Winter and Spring, but Summer can be challenging....

SnowbirdInFlight

Texas_Camper - 3/5/2007 5:18 PM Just exactly where is this campground? I understand it's a new one. I've been to Matagorda Island State Park, Port O'Connor and to the Rockport area. To anyone not familiar with the Texas Gulf Coast, there's plenty of sand, sunshine and hot temps there during June, July and August. There was some talk about high humidity in Texas. The Gulf Coast certainly has some of that too. Good place Fall, Winter and Spring, but Summer can be challenging....

I agree with ya there! Summer would probably kill me, lol. Last year we were here (in Weslaco, Texas) until April 4th and I could hardly stand the heat because March had some 90 plus with high humidity. But, the winters are great.
Any way I posted the link to this campground earlier, but here it is again. I believe it just opened up last summer. It is off the beaten path for sure.
Getting There The park is located where FM 2031 dead-ends into the Gulf of Mexico, just south of the town of Matagorda, Texas
Note that Google Maps shows the actual street address (6430 FM 2031) in the wrong place. Just take 2031 to the end and you will find us!

http://www.matagordabayrv.com

Texas_Camper

OK I found it. It's on the other side of Palacios. Looks like the Inter Coastal Waterway is adjacent to the park....
Once you get there, looks like there's not much of South Texas left....

Workdawg

And Just remember one thing!!!!!! IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY...AIN'T NO BODY HAPPY.... :laugh:

SnowbirdInFlight

Texas_Camper - 3/5/2007 7:33 PM OK I found it. It's on the other side of Palacios. Looks like the Inter Coastal Waterway is adjacent to the park.... Once you get there, looks like there's not much of South Texas left....

You're so right about that! One way in, one way out. They do have a nice restaurants between Matagorda and the RV park, plus a couple in Matagorda. But, Wally World is about 27 miles away. We were there for a week and would go back for longer.

Shadow

Snowbird, the next time you come the swing bridge crossing Intercoastal will be gone. They have started construction of the bridge. Going to miss the sound of the horn every time they open and close it, but won't miss the summer traffic jam. If you remember Culvers market, we are a couple blocks from there.

SnowbirdInFlight

Shadow - 3/6/2007 5:50 AM Snowbird, the next time you come the swing bridge crossing Intercoastal will be gone. They have started construction of the bridge. Going to miss the sound of the horn every time they open and close it, but won't miss the summer traffic jam. If you remember Culvers market, we are a couple blocks from there.

Yes, I found that bridge quite interesting and they were starting construction on the bridge when we were there in January. I've never seen the whole middle section of a highway move out of the way like that, lightpoles and all, lol. Although I sure won't miss the wait.
boat.gif