info on used trailer purchased

meeone2

recently purchased 1983 play-mor 18'travel trailer in good shape and need some info on this unit.ie:eek:wners manual,user guide to some of the different things in trailer .i am a first timer at owning a camper but have been around them a time or two.any replies would be appreciated.thanks

ARCHER

Being 23 years old, you may have a problem finding out about it. Back then, they were kind of simple to understand and use. Just keep asking individual questions here on the forum and you will probably get your answers on how things work, like water heaters, furnaces, fridges, batteries, towing, etc. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Krazeehorse

First make sure that your RV has been gone over as far as all maintenance issues are concerned. Make sure your tires are good and properly inflated. If you don't know when the bearings were last serviced you should pull them and clean and repack. GETTING to the campground safely is the first concern. There was a lot of discussion on the sewage issue a few months ago. Use the search function at the top right of the page. Good luck and welcome to the forum. We camp in an older model too. We don't put on a ton of miles but we have a lot of fun. Krazee

team3360

Any RV store or a tire store should have both tire and wheel. You need to measure stud to stud, cross corner, to get the diamiter of your bolt pattern Check at wal-mart ,some have trailer tires mounted on wheels on the shelf in automotive section .Where are you located? Close to Elkhart,IN ? Lowes home improvement and Menards also sell some trailer tires mounted on wheels, also "T.S.C" (tractor supply comp). "DRAIN VALVE" You should check the pipe back behind the gate valve to make sure it did not crack the pipe , PVC has a tendancy to split under force, hope this helps LEE

hertig

No matter what you do with either the black water valve or the grey water valve, I would suggest you not put anything into either tank except water until you are sure there are no leaks. And start with a little water, and add more after a wait to ensure that little bit does not leak.

Krazeehorse

Dexters are sort of rare now. Bu they are out there. I would have your local scrap metal yard keep an eye out for you. Make sure your tire dealer changes them on a rim clamp machine or by hand. The center "star" will bend easily on the old machines that hold the wheel down with a center cone.

s.harrington

Your wheels are very common. You can get them at an brake and axel store. On the west coast the place to get them is called Six Robblees' Inc. All you need to know is that it is 14 inch and the bolt patter (ie. 4 on 4inch centers or 4 on 5 inch centers ect.). There are other companies but this is the one I use here in Washington.

ridgewalker1971

I just bought a 1983 18 ft Play mor also I have the Owners Manual to it . So if theres any questions I can answer for you from it just let me know .
Thanks Lee

sp

Hi and welcome!

Do you have any updates whether the pipe around the sewer discharge is cracked or not and what about the furnace?

The two older campers (both 76's) that I have had both had the discharge level to the ground. You may want to check to see if somehow the tank or piping got bent upward. The reason I say that is because if you look at how the tank is designed it should be pitched toward the discharge area so why would they make the port higher??

I use heavy disposable rubber gloves, a see thru adapter with a port for a sewer only water hose, a 25' flex sewer hose and a bottle of 10 to 1 H2O/bleach solution. Dump the "black"/sewer tank>dump the "gray"/sink/shower tank (make sure to shut gray valve)>attach the hose to the see thru adapter and open the small valve. Water will shoot up into the tank. Let it run until water exiting shows clear. Clean everything up with bleach solution and your sewer only water hose. Refill part of your black tank and add the "break up" solution, follow directions on the bottle.

Keep us posted. Steve

Krazeehorse

None of the wheels listed under "trailer" on Robblees website picture a Dexter type wheel. Several are labeled Dexstar but show a conventional bolt circle type wheel. So the wheels may be available but they are anything but "very common". (See how many are listed on Ebay right now) ;)

meeone2

could not agree more krazee.check everywhere no luck.one local axle dealer confirmed them as the old 494rv hub.discon 2002 .even called dexter while i was there.she said to check on inner and outer bearing #'s,if they were the ones described they had conventional style hubs for the trailer.4 or 5 inch o/c.

meeone2

whats the trick to getting the pilot to stay lit on water heater?atwood 6 gal.model G6A7.followed instuctions over and over still would not stay lit when letting go of dial on control valve.(jade style).

C Nash

Check the thermocouplar it may be to far from the flame or the flame may be to small. It could and probably is defected. Sometimes you can tighten the nut where it goes into the controler and get them to working.

meeone2

still having problem with pilot staying lit.replaced with new atwood pilot asm 91603 and still no luck.any way to light this water heater (atwood model G6A-7)with out using pilot to be sure it works and heats water.thanks wayne