information on insurance

Discussion in 'Talkback' started by kojak, May 6, 2007.

1. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi Readers,could anyone help re My wife and myself coming to USA and getting insurance for travel around you country for 2 months with A Class motorhome which i have purchased, i am going to transfer motorhome into our name @ address of a friend while over travelling, and then ship the motorhome out of east coast as they say it is cheaper freight to australia,thank's kojak

2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Re: information on insurance

As far as price goes, a lot of people like Progressive. Since you don't live here, their unfortunate political views should not be of concern to you. I've got Good Sam/GMAC which has been ok so far.

Basically, you are looking at 2 factors. Because it is a motorized vehicle, you must have Liability insurance in case you are the cause of an accident. You can get this most anywhere if this is all you need. Then there is the insurance to fix your motorhome if someone else runs into you (Collision insurance) and to cover fire/theft/vandalism (Comprensive insurance). Automobile insurance companies tend to cover RVs with these types of insurance as if they were cars, not residences. Since you pretty much have to have all the insurances from the same place, if you need the latter coverages, you will want to find an insurance company which specializes in RV insurance, as often the RV policies from auto insurance companies are often not satisfactory, and generally pricier to boot.

Search the ads in RV sites/magazines for such specialty insurers, and/or search this forum for previous discussions.

3. kojak

kojak New Member

hello Hertig,thanks for you advise ,i will look @ sites and mags,i emailed good sams to see if they can help, Gary

4. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member

5. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi Kirk, Thanks again for info, its real great that we can ask for info and get the help,i will try the links listed,Keep those M/H wheels rollin,