Insurance Coverage

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by first_time, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. first_time

    first_time New Member

    Hello All,

    As per my post on another thread thanks for all the great info! It is a huge help for a total newbie.

    My question is very basic but could not find answer doing a search.

    What type of insurance do you have to have on a fifth wheel or should you have?

    I assume that the trailer itself becomes an add on to the tow vehicle, but do you also have some sort of home owners to cover it when it is not in travel.

    Again I would assume my homeowners would cover it when parked in our yard and will check with my agent, but what about when parked at a campground or other?

    Thanks for any assistance.

  2. hertig

    hertig Senior Member

    Re: Insurance Coverage

    As you say, you don't need vehicle liability, because it is not a vehicle. Check with your insurance carrier to see if it is covered under your homeowners policy when in your yard (I suspect not) and whether the contents are covered (they may be).

    No matter where it is, you want the unit to be covered from fire, theft, destruction, vandalism and weather. This is generally called 'comprehensive' insurance. The contents of the RV should be so covered too, but these may fall under your homeowners policy; check with your agent to see. Then there would be the case where someone runs into your trailer, or damage to the trailer caused by someone running into your tow vehicle. Or even damage to the trailer from an accident you caused. In a vehicle, this is called 'collision', but I'm not sure how you get it for a trailer. Finally, you want personal liability so when someone falls down the steps of your trailer and sues you, you are covered. Again, this may be covered under your homeowner's policy, checking this is wise. You may also want to consider an 'umbrella' policy which provides extension of liability coverage to all your existing liability policies.
  3. first_time

    first_time New Member

    RE: Insurance Coverage

    Thanks John all very good information and advise. I checked with my insurance company last week, but unfortunately the owner was out of town and the girl in the office was not really up to speed on trailers of this type.

    I will certainly give them a call again this week.

  4. s.harrington

    s.harrington Senior Member

    Re: Insurance Coverage

    It really depends on the state you are in. Here in Washington anything with plates on it is a vehicle and must have at least Liability on it. However you can also register it like a mobile home and pay property tax on it but can't take it on the road.( in this state its just a tax thing).
  5. hertig

    hertig Senior Member

    Re: Insurance Coverage

    Really wierd. hey make you have liability on a trailer as well as on the tow vehicle? Memo to self. Never ever move to Washington.
  6. first_time

    first_time New Member

    RE: Insurance Coverage

    Thanks all!

    We are still deciding which unit we want to purchase but will be sure to check it all out. I thought we were the only state with tax issues. Around here they call us Tax-a-chusetts.

    We also have issue with insurance and most of the better compaines won't do business here like Progressive :(

    Maybe it's time to move :)

  7. Kirk

    Kirk Senior Member

    Re: Insurance Coverage

    It also depends upon how you plan to use the RV. If you will keep the house, much of the liability is covered by your home owner's policy but if you sell the house and go full-time you will need special insurance that covers things like a visitor getting hurt while visiting you.

Share This Page