Insurance for RV Excess?

Alan Story

Dear RV Talk Forum:

My sweetheart and I, who live in the UK, have rented an RV in Nova Scotia, Canada for 2 1/2 weeks in September. As is usual, the rental company requires us to take out insurance on this RV through the company.
But here is the main problem: the cost of the excess on this insurance is very steep. For some claims, it would be Can$.750.00 and, for others, it would be a whopping Can.$1500.00.
For the rental of cars in the UK, it is possible to get insurance on the excess, that is, in the event of a claim, you pay the excess to insurer #1 and then get recompensed for the excess by insurer #2.
Is anyone on RV Talk Forum aware of a similiar type of excess insurance for RV's in Canada? Name and contact details of such an excess insurer please.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Story

Alan Story

This is actually a reply to my own post of a week ago ( 11 August- Insurance for RV Excess?)

More than 150 people have viewed my post but no one has replied.

This could be because: a) such insurance does not exist ...which is too bad; or b) I used the wrong terminology. I understand that what we call ' excess' in the UK is called 'deductible' insurance in North America.

So the same question: does anyone know of insurance for deductible insurance for an RC rental? It is hardly a welcoming card to RV'ing if you have to pay hundreds of dollars for insurance PLUS up to $1500 for a deductible in the event you make a claim on your yery first time renting an RV.

Alan Story
Kent UK

H2H1

Sorry Allen that no one responed to your question(s). I to was confused to your question and thanks for clearing that up. Now most of us on here own out RVs so I guess it would be fair to say we aren't experiance in rental insurance.
QUESTION: IF A $1500 IS REQUIRED before renting and when you return it to the renter and has no damage that would require rerpairing, then will they reinbursed you the $1500 up front money? I would say if not I would find me another rental company.

Good luck

akjimny

Hi Alan and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I'm like Hollis - I didn't understand the initial question. $1,500 deductible seems to be awfully high. Is this insurance you would be buying from the rental agency? I'm pretty sure you could find a cheaper policy to cover your vacation by searching the web. Or you could check with your auto policy carrier (if you have one) and see if they will cover your rental.

Sorry for the confusion on our end. You know we don't speak English here in the US. Good luck and post back with an update.:):)

Alan Story

Jim:

We are REQUIRED to take out insurance from the RV rental company: no if's, and's or but's.

I have been all over the web and looked in RV magazines ...but no joy.

Alan

C Nash

My understanding is if you have an accident that is uner 1500 you pay for it or you put up the first 1500. Not unusually for rental IMO if I am understanding correct. I have 500 deductable on mine but I own it. 750 would be inline to my way of thinking which I am often wrong LOL. If you have to put that money up front I still could understand. Like Hollis if you return it in the same condition you took it you should get the money back. Just go over it with a fine tooth comb before you take it. Know there is a language gap here but when I say "fine tooth comb" I mean just make a record of any scratches or and damage seen. Good luck

H2H1

as my friend Nash said, if you do decide to go ahead with the rental, take a camera and take picture of it from every angel, record all dents scratches no mater how small they are. If someone tell you don't worry about them, and they know about them, GO AHEAD AND TAKE PICTURES. remember they will lie. good luck