interior lighting, electrical

sbeck42

I am having trouble with the interior lights. With the trailer hooked up to shore power, the lighting is dim unless the batteries are hooked up and charged. I do have 110vac at all outlets, and going into power converter. I confirmed 13.6vdc leaving the converter. All fuses are good, and show 13.6vdc. The entire 12v circuit seems to not have enough power while plugged into shore power with batteries disconnected. It is only when the batteries are reconnected that I have enough power and lighting is bright. Also the batteries do charge when plugged into shore power. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DL Rupper

Re: interior lighting, electrical

Hey sbeck42, welcome to the forum. My first question is why are you disconnecting the batteries? I've never disconnected my 12 volt batteries while connected to shore power. I only disconnect them when the RV is not being used.

ARCHER

As DL stated, why are you disconnecting them? They are suppose to remain connected when your using the TT. Your converter may be charging the batteries and they are running your 12 lights and more importantly, your refrigerator, furnace, hot water tank use the house batteries to run their circuit boards. Is your fridge working when batteries not plugged in? Is furnace working, is LP lead detector working, is hot water tank working when batteries are disconnected? Something seems to be missing here???? :(

TexasClodhopper

The important clues here are these quotes: [*]"... Also the batteries do charge when plugged into shore power...." [*]"... lighting is dim unless the batteries are hooked up and charged ..." [*]"... confirmed 13.6vdc leaving the converter ..." [/list]

Sounds like something wrong with the converter. I'm assuming it has "13.6vdc" output without a load on it?

Measure the voltage output with a 12 volt bulb on the output to find the loaded output voltage.

dennis1949

I had the same problem on my old 5th wheel. Replaced the converter and it cured it .