Intermittent smell

Winddog

I am new to the camper living and am trying to figure things out as I go. I bought a used travel trailer and have been living out of it for the last 6 months for work.
I have noticed a smell coming from the bathroom sink whenever I use it. This doesn’t happen in the kitchen or anyplace else. I let the grey water drain directly out and I am looking for some direction or advice.

Thanks

Triple E

Re: Intermittent smell

Hello Michael and welcome to the best RV forum on the web. :cool:

You say you let the gray water drain out. So I assume the drain valve is open all of the time so you might be getting a smell from the septic system. Have you checked the water trap under the sink to see if it is full of water. If, for some reason, the water is being sucked into the drain and emptying your trap that will allow a smell from your tank. I am not much help here but at least you have a starting point. Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

H2H1

WELL DARN. now I am agreeing with Steve. I recommend never open the drain valve until the tank is 3/4 full, and always open the black tank first and then the gray to flush out the hose. Do this will and I think the smell you are getting will go away. Good luck :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Gray water can smell as bad as black....there should be a vent under the sink. That could be bad.

I would flood the tank....and flush it several times.

Kirk

There is a vacuum breaker under the sink which is there to prevent drain problems. It is designed to allow air into the drain lines, but to seal and stop any flow of air from the tank. If it fails, the wind over the tank vent that goes up through the RV roof can cause a pressure inside of the tank that will flow into your RV bathroom. As Ken said, the gray can often smell as bad or worse than the black tank so you don't want it venting into the RV.

If you look up under the sink, there will be a drain line that comes from the sink drain and that goes up near the bottom of the sink and that has a cap-like device with slots threaded on the end of it. That device is very easy to replace and it is probably not closing properly. A replacement can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot or most plumbing supply stores.