Internet

Just wondering what other people do about the internet on the road or off.I use verizon and I only use it maybe 2-3 month a year in the camper.But I have to pay for it all year,any sugestions on anouther method,not cheap just frugle.::applause:

Clay L

Verizon sells prepaid aircards. The data allowance expires if not used but I don't recall the time period.
I think you may have to go to an actual Verizon store - not a franchise store - to get one though.

LEN

If you have a smart phone you can make it a hot soot turning it off and on as needed with out a contract, then use the WIFI on the computer. There are also free to cheap tethers)programs) for the smart phone to use its data and hotspot. Negative side is amount of data NO or few movies but all the email an surfing you can use, we use two computers this way and have run to about 3 gig.

LEN

rjf7g

I use a Verizon 4G mifi for my home Internet and take it with me when I go camping. I can also turn my Verizon phone in to a hot spot and this works well.

Imby Rick

Other hotspots I have used a lot. Almost all Public libraries have 24 hour free wifi in their parking lots. You may have to go into the library when they are open and sign up for their free wifi. New Car Dealerships always have free wifi in the service department waiting room. I

If you purchase your MiFi adapter from Verizon instead of trying to get it for free with a contract you can activate it one month at a time. This might be easier to handle at a Verizon owned ---non franchise--store.

Rick

Thanks to all for there advice.Sorry didnt get back sooner,but other things had priority(you men understand this)Anyway talking to verizon and the most economical way is to just have them suspend it until you need it.This can only be done on the internet,or they will charge you a disconect fee,(go figure.)Anyhow I tried this and will see what happens.

ejdixon

We use one of our cellphones as our own hotspot while we're on the road. If the signal in the area is bad, then we go ahead and just buy those prepaid cards from Verizon.

Boyde31

I use a hotspot on my phone if I really need it. However, I do like to try to stay away from technology when I'm out.

krsmitty

LEN;82029 said:
If you have a smart phone you can make it a hot soot turning it off and on as needed with out a contract, then use the WIFI on the computer. There are also free to cheap tethers)programs) for the smart phone to use its data and hotspot. Negative side is amount of data NO or few movies but all the email an surfing you can use, we use two computers this way and have run to about 3 gig.

LEN

I have Verizon and they charge you $20 a month to use your smartphone as a hot spot...which I do not use. I do use PdaNet to tether my phone to the laptop. I am going to stop today and buy me a Bluetooth adapter and try an app called FoxFi (someone on this forum recommended if I remember correctly) to be able to connect my laptop to my phone via bluetooth. No tether and should be able to connect more than one device at a time.

You could also "jail break" your smartphone to gain hot spot capability for free.

LEN

You dont need the bluetooth. Just the Foxfi app on your Smart phone and it turns on the WIFI and uses your own data plan "that you already pay for".

LEN

krsmitty

LEN;82182 said:
You dont need the bluetooth. Just the Foxfi app on your Smart phone and it turns on the WIFI and uses your own data plan "that you already pay for".

LEN
Foxfi does not support my phone for wifi. They say to use the bluetooth. Which I have not been able to work yet. I can get the 2 to pair, but the DUN will not work.