inverter/converter

kiddsareus

Sorry to bother you all again but now that I'm finally a full time camper I've run into a problem. I camped for 3 days in the beginning of May and now I'm hooked up for the next 5 months. Last night I lost power to my fridge and 12 volt lights. My RV battery was very low. I took it in and had it tested. It tested as a good battery so they recharged it. I am fairly certain that the problem is with the inverter/converter (whatever you call that thing). I know that the original owners replaced it several years back. What I want to know is if you all think I can just attach a charger/maintainer to the battery as apposed to having the inverter replaced. I'm in a 1989 Georgie Boy Cruise Air III. Any help is appreciated, it's very difficult being a single female full timer, but I will persevere. Thanks, Robin :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: inverter/converter

It sounds to me that the charger part of your converter has gone bad. Yes, you can attach a charger to the battery and everything will work. You need a charger that will taper off as the battery charges so it will not over charge. As you said, a maintainer.

I would suggest you get your converter fixed when you can, it is a lot simpler when every thing goes smoothly. Don't know what kind of converter you have, but some newer converters can just have the charge part changed....LOT simpler than the older ones where you had to change the whole thing out. Since it has been changed once, you may get lucky.

kiddsareus

Thank you so much for your response. For the record, it's a Newmark model DCV 50F. When I am ready to have it fixes, where should I take it? I'm on Lake Allatoona in Cartersville, Georgia. Thanks again - a TON!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, if you find yourself in VA, we can do it, but I don't know who to send you to in GA.. Maybe Hollis will see this and make a suggestion.

H2H1

OK Kidsareus, when you leave Cartersville which way are you heading. If you are heading down south to Columbus I have several tech that u can contact. David owner of Backroad Rv Repair will come to u if not to faraway. I have used him several time and was happy with his work and price. I also have a shop in Phenix City Ala. who is doing some work on mine in steps as I needed it to make our trip out west. PM me if I can help u out on any of these.