Inverter on 5000 btu (house) AIR CONDITIONER

JIMO

Hi,
Sorry for my bad english ...
I have a special rv who have a rear part for carring atv, like a '' garage''. I don't have any air conditioner, on the trucks and on the roof, So, I want to put a Classic house AIR CONDITIONER of 5000 btu between the rv (living) part and the garage part.

I would like to make run it by an inverter of 1000 watt (peak 2000 ). I want to use the AIR CONDITIONER during I'm driving too and it will be the only thing on the inverter. some people say that it is possible some other say no !
( a 5000 btu use 5-600 watt and 5 amp )
( I dont want to spend a lot of momey because it are for sale ..)
engine is a Ford 6.9 Diesel with an alternator of +- 100 amp...
So do you think is way be possible ?

C Nash

Jimo, in my opinion it will not work but not an expert of those things. If I was selling, I would not worry about. Maybe some of the electrical experts will jump in. Do you have room for a generator?

JIMO

well, I have some place for built a little room ou a kind of case behind the rear wheel, but I have to build it and to buy a generator who is not very cheap.... but , it can work, why ? you think that it may be better with a generator ? even if it run diring I drive on the hiway ???

C Nash

I think the generator would be the best if you can install it so there will be no exhaust fumes leak into the living area while driving or camping. Honda and yamaha make some pretty good little generators and if you look around you can find so good buys in used onans but, be careful on the Onans that won't run. Parts are very expensive.

hertig

Well lets see. 600 watts out = 600 watts in = voltage x current = 12 v x current (ignoring losses in the inverter). That is 50 amps minimum and more like 55 or 60 amps just to run the thing. Probably at least twice that to start it up, so you could never start it without a (temporary) source of more current (perhaps a battery bank) which would then suck some of your current to recharge from.

Besides, with that kind of DC current and the length of run from the front of the truck to the rear of the trailer, you will need some really hefty wires...

Most small inverters (and all cheap ones) put out really noisy waveforms, which can cause poor performance or even damage to the AC unit.

In general, it is never practical to run an AC off of an inverter.

If you do go with an generator, you will probably find you need at least
1200 watts capability in order to start up the AC. Honda has a nice 2000
watt one, small, with very clean power, good fuel efficiency and perhaps the lowest noise of any of them (the EU2000I). With any generator, you need to be concerned about Carbon Monoxide poisoning, which can be avoided by good venting of the exhaust fumes and installation of a CO detector.

Be wary about mounting an AC from the living quarters to the 'garage' without some way of dumping heat from the garage. Heat is transferred from the front of the AC (inside) to the rear (usually outside which is not measurably affected by it). But if the garage is well sealed and/or insulated, the temperature in there will skyrocket, perhaps affecting the operation of the AC unit.

JIMO

good !!
I'll probably buy a generator..I guess that its the best thing to do.
so now I have to find the good way to dump the warn air outsite the rear quarters.
thanks a lot,
Jim

hertig

Actually, it may not be too hard. What you need is a good supply of cool air coming in, and a way to push out the hot air. Since heat rises, the best place for the latter is 1 or more roof vents or you don't have them and don't want to add them, wall vents right under the roof. Add good fans to blow the hot air out from this vent, and have plenty of air intake (vents near the floor are best) and that should do it.

If the garage area has good sized windows in both sides, it may be as simple as opening both of them and mounting a fan over one.

If it was me, I might investigate mounting the AC through the wall of the trailer to the outside so getting rid of the heat wouldn't be an issue. Of course, if it was me, I'd be using that garage anyway :) I've seen an AC unit which is self contained except for a large hose to blow the heat outside with (at Home Depot). I might do something like that rather than hack a window AC size hole in the wall. Probably could put a dryer vent on the end to protect from bugs, etc and give a nice appearance.