Is a Spare Tire a needed?

411jeff

I just bought a used 2002 Class A Coachmen and discovered it didn't have a spare tire.
Should I get one or will the roadside service have tires available in the case of a blowout? Or will they over charge for a new tire?
Also since the rims are different for the rear (dual tires in the rear), do you only get a spare tire that fits the front?

Thanks for your help.

vanole

Jeff,

Most class A's don't have a spare.

With that said I started carrying one in 2007. After being held hostage by Road Service with them trying to find a replacement tire. After they found a tire in WV (I was broke down in Va) the tire set me back almost $800. Can you say highway robbery. I pitched a fit with Goodyear seeing how the tire normally retails for $512 and Goodyear sent me a check for the difference.

Concerning mounting tire on the rim I did not do that. Heck tire without the rim is a son of a gun to move around and I can't imagine doing it with the tire mounted on a rim.

I say if you have room and are not overweight I'd carry one.

Jeff

H2H1

I have one that is bolted underneath th MH. I have never had a blow out, knock on wood, but my RSA said it was part of the policy to replace a blown out tire. I sure hope I never find out if that is true or not.

C Nash

I do not have a spare on our MH. Like Jeff said if you have the room I would think about just having a tire with no rim. A lot depends on where you will be traveling. If you have a toad you can always drive it to get a tire. Road service will pay for service call but not the tire mount. GS did when I had a blowout but I had to pay for the tire breakdown and mount new tire. He only charged me 15 bucks.

G

i have a spare also on my current MH ,, and it is underneath ,, with a winch system to get it down ,, i will never ever own a MH without a spare ,, just do the fact that i can get it replaced before my roadside ever gets there ,, but JMO :)

akjimny

Hi Jeff and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. A spare is always a good idea. Mine was bolted under the rear of the motorhome, but after having to change it one time, I got a bumper mount for it so it is now easily accessible. The front and rear wheels are identical. The front wheel is mounted with the offset facing out and the outside rear dual is mounted with the offset facing in. That's why they look different.

I'm like Jeff and Rod in that I don't want to be held hostage by the road service company (even tho I have road hazard insurance). Besides that, the one blow-out I had was in a place where I couldn't get cell phone service to call them anyway. A spare is just reasonably cheap additional insurance.:):)

LEN

On trips in the lower US I go without a spare, figure the Road side will do. But on trips to the upper US"Canada" and Alaska I carry a tire so I can have it mounted. The 22" are just too big to carry all the time and you see very few MH's with problems much less with tire problems if one does tire like one should.

LEN

LL1956

I have carried and not carried a spare in the past. Had a blow out and no spare.
Service truck brought me a spare and price was cheaper then the dealer was when I replace the rest of them.

Second blow out I had my unmounted spare. Allstate RV Road Help, paid for the service call and labor mounting and the disposal fee for taking the flat one.
If you don't want robbed then buy yourself a new spare at today's $350-400 price, then in 10 years if not needed throw it away because of age. Now that is robbing yourself.
I will take the chance of service truck bringing a reasonable priced tire.

Boyde31

I always carry a spare with me. You never know what can happen out there, and I figure I would rather be safe than sorry. Most times roadside can take care of it, but there is always that rare occurrence.