is there much free camping

we are hoping to buy our first RV towards the end of the year, i read of people paying $40-$50 and more per night

we wouldn't be full timing, more likely weekending andwe don't need to stay on the beach front so to say

i guess i'm a cheapskate, we'd rather not be paying out to stay in our RV

until now we've had a vw vanagon and have not paid for a nights sleep yet

are restrictions on {lenght} parking an RV in the street

Bounder Boy

Re: is there much free camping

You could always stay in Wal-Marts parking lot. Most of them allow it, BUT check online as many do not. At least for safety sake, you would be off the street. Then there is always the truck stops if you don't mind listening to them idle all night in colder weather or if they have a refer unit.

try2findus

Bounder Boy is correct, other than the Bureau of Land Management areas, Walmart and truck stops are the only "free" places we know about. But make sure it is a 24-Hour Walmart. We have heard some scary stories about overnighting at Walmart.

If you find some Mom and Pop campgrounds, they won't have all of the amenities, ie: cable tv, wifi, level sites, etc., but the price is considerably lower.

Happy camping and safe travels. :)

RE: is there much free camping

thank you

what about parking up on the side of the street, are there laws against it

are there laws regarding the length of the coach and parking it on the street

Triple E

Hey Mark have not seen you on this site for a while, hope all is well, welcome back. What kind of RV are you looking at getting?

Bounder Boy

I'm not sure about parking on the street I would guess that many cities have various ordinances either or against the practice. But if "I" were traveling, I guess "I" would be very leary about just pulling up and parking on the street somewhere when I didn't know what the neighborhood was like. Guess I just think $40 is worth the safety factor, for both my family and the coach. Not to mention then I would get to use the all the freebies of the campground. ;)

G

John i have to agree with u on this one ,, i have paid up to $100 per night to stay in a CG ,, but as u said ,, what is 40 bucks ,, for the piece of mind that it gives u ,, i don't even like dry camping ,, gotta have it all ,, ,, but that is me ,, :laugh: :approve: :approve:

we are thinking of full timing for the first 6 months, i'm from the UK, wife is american, we are currently living in israel {with her parents} awaiting my green card, we are hoping to buy a winnebago brave 27' from the late 90's, to travel around the US until we can find somewhere we are both happy, we like different climates

$40 a night every night for 6 months, is a LOT of money, money we don't have

Bounder Boy

If you think $40/night to stay safe is a lot, wait until you start pumping gas through that thing at the current rate of $4.00/gl ! :( :( :(

Bounder Boy - 4/11/2011 2:08 PM If you think $40/night to stay safe is a lot, wait until you start pumping gas through that thing at the current rate of $4.00/gl ! :( :( :(

:laugh: $4 a gallon, gas in the UK is more than double that, as it is here in israel :(

nifty9

If you plan on visiting B.C,Canada the B.C. stands for bring cash lots if you want to drive the 27ft.brave you will be looking at 91 octane $6.42 a Canadian gallon .Some Wal-marts allow overnight parking but that is not camping.

02 Dutch Star 40 3 slides
01 Dodge diesel dually
59 Chev short box
31 Model A chopped 5 window
04 Interstate box trailer

Dave and Eva
Victoria B.C.Canada

C Nash

Mark, you can join clubs such as passport America, Campers Club and find sites for half price. Don't know your age but if 62 you can get a golden age passport and get half price in National and COE parks. Don't know where you can get this if you are your wife do not have American birth certs. Good luck. If theres a will there a way. There are some of us here that have to really watch where we stay. We do but we manage to travel anyway. Good luck

Radioman

State Parks have relatively low camping fees as well as lots to see and do. If you're planning on full-timing for six months, you should check into work camping. Most places will allow you to stay free in exchange for work around the campground.

goldone

I always ask first at walmarts .I was woke up 3 in the morning at Victoria bc, I had taken medicine to sleep, a few hours earlier. I told them I was unfit to presently drive, mall security offered to tow me, 200 dollar charge... ask first. :laugh:

H2H1

thanks Clay for the site. I have order mine also did not know that the VFW offer such a thing, and since I am a VFW member I now have a place to look for when on the road. Thanks again