ISB, ISC or ISL

Michguy

Good morning all,
I'll be buying a used 38' - 40' Diesel Pusher in the next few months. I've been told by a few RV Salespeople to stay clear of the Cummins ISB engines, as they are simply Pick-Up truck engines, and won't do the job, especially if pulling a Toad and travelling in mountainous terrain, both of which I intend to do. Is there any truth to what they're telling me, since I see a lot of coaches are running the ISB's? Also, can anyone tell me which Cat engines, if any, are counterparts to the Cummins ISB engines?

04Pusher

Re: ISB, ISC or ISL

Hmmmm. We have an '04, 5.9L CR ISB on a 32 foot Meridian. We live in Colorado. We tow an 05 Honda Pilot with a pair of Polaris Quads on a tandem axle trailer behind the Pilot (Triple). Bought the unit new and now have over 70K miles on it. Not sure if we have a problem having this engine, but we're happy. It pulls all of this including a fully loaded rig up Vail Pass (10K plus feet) at 45 mph. I get a nice 9 mpg with this set up and hit 10 mpg without the trailer. I 38-40 footer is going to be a bit heavier (our trailer w/2 quads maybe?).
I think that the transmission on the unit is just as important. Be sure you have the Allison 3000, SIX speed unit. Anything less WILL be MORE of a problem. Happy Tails and good luck!

Triple E

What year are you looking to buy. I can't help you with the Cummins but you will not go wrong with the CAT. However, no matter what you buy have an engine and transmission oil analysis preformed before you sign the papers. Should cost between $30 and $50.00 for both.

LEN

With the 38' to 40' the ISC is the minimum witch has a bit not a lot more power than the Cat 3126 or C-7(later model of 3126). I run heavy with the toad on a trailer and get around good with the 3126 Cat. Could I use more power "yes" on a long climb in the mountains. Do I need more power, most likely not for the 5-10 minutes on climb time a few times a year. I would shop for the 3126 or C-7 or the ISC and if the C-9 or the ISL is in the coach that much better. One thing that would be a big plus is a Jake rather than the exhaust brake, but again not a deal breaker. Once to the that motor size it's more the coach fit for you.

LEN

G

well there is ways to get more power outta the "pick up truck " motor ,, i have done it ,, but ,, if i didn't do it myself ,, it can get expensive ,, but i gained in HP and torque ,, but siffered in MPG ,, but not really enough to complain about IMO :) :)

04Pusher

730 - 1/13/2011 7:18 PM

well there is ways to get more power outta the "pick up truck " motor ,, i have done it ,, but ,, if i didn't do it myself ,, it can get expensive ,, but i gained in HP and torque ,, but siffered in MPG ,, but not really enough to complain about IMO :) :)

730, What have you done "to get more power outta" the motor?