Jeep Cherokee's ability to tow

dbelles

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with the 6 cyl, 4.0L straight six. We're thinking about trading our class C for a travel trailer, something in the 3850 to 4100 (dry) weight range.

My question is, can this vehicle tow a trailer in that weight range? Did performance and/or reliability suffer? What was your experience?

Thanks

C Nash

I have not seen any ratings for the Cherokee but, I don't think it would handle anywhere near this amount of dry weight. Loaded you would be around 4800 to 6200. The short w/base would also be a negative. Does the Cherokee have a trailering package and the rear axle ratio will also affect the towing. Your owners manual should give the tow limit. Do your research nothing worse than an improperly matched tow vehicle and trailer. All (JMHO)

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Cliff

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L engine. I tow a large pop-up with it, 3250# max... Though it seems to handle the load very well, it does strain when climbing even moderate hills. The 4.0L is a very strong, high torq, high output motor, but does have it's limits. There is also a "limit" on how much frontal area you can have on a trailer with the Jeep, and the 5,000# tow rating using the 75% rule means you proably shouldn't attempt to tow more than 3750# with it. Also, anything over 2,000# requires the use of a WDH (per the Jeep manual)...

The V8 Jeep by contrast, has a 6500# tow rating, and would probably be a little better for that large of a trailer. Note: the frontal mass area limit is the same for either model (sorry, I don't have the frontal area measurements handy)...

*C*

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

www.gonecamping.net

BarneyS

Dbelles,
I had a 1992 Cherokee with the 6cyl 4L engine and we pulled a small pop-up. That is the largest I would go. Even putting two bikes up on top of the pop-up and a slight head wind would slow us up. I certainly would not try to pull a travel trailer. Remember, it is not just the weight but also the frontal area of the trailer that you have to move through the wind. In addition, the wheelbase of the Cherokee is just too short to prevent sway on a larger trailer - even with a sway control attached. In my opinion, you are asking too much for the Cherokee to do and it would be an unsafe combination. Good luck on your search for a trailer but make sure you do your homework and keep asking these questions.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

dbelles

OK, same basic setup, but how about the Grand Cherokee with the V8 (4.7L about 235hp)? Would that work?

Dave

Cliff

Well, the V8 Grand Cherokee with Class IV hitch does have a 6500# rating, which following the 75% rule means you "should" be able to tow up to 4875#... Again, not sure about the frontal mass, there are specific limits in the manual, but still don't have the manual here in front of me! I believe it would work ok, but I'm a far cry from an expert!

*C*

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

www.gonecamping.net

BarneyS

Dave, My friend has a Grand Cherokee and tows an 18ft cargo trailer. The Cherokee does pretty well and he has had no problems. It would most likely do ok pulling the load you mention. However- I still feel the wheelbase is too small, brakes not adequate, and one thing that has not been mentioned - it has (I believe) a unit construction which means it does not have a real frame. I would be concerned with the wear & tear on the vehicle. If you do not already own the Grand Cherokee, it might be preferable to look at a different vehicle for towing. If you do already have the Grand Cherokee then I would try it and see how it goes. Here is a discussion about this topic on another board that you may be interested in seeing.
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/Tid/254388/DoOnePage/Yes.cfm
Good luck.

Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

Edited by - bsmith0337 on Jun 29 2002 9:32:27 PM

JPBECK

We have a G.C and tow a 25' Terry with a Gross Dry Weight of 3625lbs. and a GVWR 4900lbs we have crossed this country twice and have not had a problem at all. Pulling up hill we go just as fast as anyone else. We live in CA and camp up in Big Bear once a month. The drive up the Mnt. is one of the steepest and we do fine.
The only thing I added to our Jeep was a Transmission cooler. We are not worried about Wear and Tear (if there is any) since we have a 100,000 mile drive trans warrenty.
just my 2 cents worth :eek:

C Nash

Hope there is no small print in that 100,000 mile warrenty! :(