Just bought first motor home

Bounder Boy

Just bought our 1st Class A, used 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 32F. I say 1st because we do plan on buying another in the future. Getting ready for retirement and wanted to buy a used one to "try it out" before investing the big $$$$.

Been reading the different forums here and WOW what a wealth of information. I will indeed test all of your knowledge in the coming months.

First question is has anyone added aftermarket levelers to a MH and do you think the investment was worth it?

Thanks,
BB

akjimny

Re: Just bought first motor home

Hi John and welcome to the RVUSA forum. $3,000 and do-it-yourself installation is kinda spendy JMO. That's what I found doing a basic Google search. Personally I just use an assortment of 2x8 pressure treated blocks that I stack, depending on need. Most times I don't even bother with those. :) :) :)

H2H1

HI John, and as Jim said, welcome to the best forum. If MINE DID NOT COME WITH THEM I WOULD NOT INVEST IN THEM. Now if you planning on being at one place for a long time, then they are worth it. but if you are going to camp ground to camp ground I really don't think you will need them. I have camped over night and never put them down. All they do is (IMO) is stabilize the rocking of the MH , BUT blocks and a scissor jack will do the same thing.

Bounder Boy

Pls correct me if I am wrong, but Leveling Jacks are supposed to level the MH for correct operation of the refrig. and personal comfort (sleeping level) aren't they? I have read in other forums, NEVER use stabilizer jacks for leveling.

On the other note. yeah, I was trying to get justification for the cost of the levelers also.

H2H1

yes you are correct on the operation of the refrig. But ask for and look for a level site and u will be OK. As stated earlier I hardly use mine when we are going to be over night and the site is level

Bounder Boy

Thanks again for the info and pls bear with me...... I will be questioning a lot of info in the future.

Picking up the MH this Saturday and doing a walk thru with the dealer. Looking forward to it alot, but more so driving it off the lot and starting to enjoy the highway freedom.

H2H1

before you sign on the line ,,, look at the DOT date on the tires, they may be nice looking,, but old. Most tires has a life span of about 7-10 years.

Bounder Boy

Whenever I buy a vehicle, the first thing I look at on the outside is the price sheet (requires in Wisconsin) It lists the date the vehicle was taken in. Let's me know how long it's been for sale (bargaining tool) Then inside I go for the glove box to look for an old registration or insurance car with the owners name.

In this case, I found the name and called the prev. owner before signing papers. He owned it for 3 yrs., kept perfect records and maintenance records and said it was Good to go cross country !! They just bought a new one. Also has tires only 5,000 miles old.

He even volunteered to meet me after picking it up and he would go through everything with me again in case the dealer forgot something and also show me any quirps it might have had.

G

well that is a good thing on the records and him wanting to meet u ,, but as hollis said ,, ck the DOT code on the tires ,, and see how old they realy are ,, as for the jacks ,, My MH does not have them and the other one i had ,, i never used them if i a had good level spot ,, the refer will be ok ,, if the sight u have i level enough ,, the new ones are not as bad as the old refers they can take i bit of outta level ,, if u feel comfortable in the rv on the sight ,, the refer will be ok

Pillaz

RE: Just bought first motor home

IMHO leveling jacks are important. but it depends on where u stay. private RV parks tend to have level sites. Where as State Parks arent very level. I know when I get up in the morning, if the coach is not on Jacks, as I may coffee it wakes the wife....bad news. After market jacks are expensive. I would consider bolting heavy duty sissor jacks to the frame. You can get an attachment for your screw gun and raise a lower tthe jacks that way. Sissor jacks should only run about $100 per jack. Good luck and have fun with your new Boaunder